About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Tuesday 6 December 2011

Run Report: The Rainy Cloud 06/12/2011


'Twas a cold wet snowy hail stone morning when my iphone bleeped to say there was a message. It was Evonne, stating that she thought The Cloud 9 hill run we had set for today was going to be too dangerous. “MMMM” I thought, I had still arranged to meet the two Chris’s so thought I had better turn up anyway. At that point another text from Christiana telling me that perhaps we should stick to Moston and about four miles today. "No problem" I thought, slightly disappointed. Anyhow, we soon all arrived at the club with Chris (that’s male Chris) turning up dressed for mountain climbing. It seemed a shame to spoil it for him and as soon as Chris (that’s female Chris) suggested we may give it a try, we were all in my car and on the way to Congleton.


Parked up at the leisure centre we took the short walk across to the Biddulph rail trail. As we started off we said goodbye to the alcoholic teenagers drinking strong beer at 9-30 am and skiving off school and set on our way. We soon left the track and that is where the fun began, or should I say the mud began. Sliding around like Bambi in an old musical I had Evonne’s it's too dangerous words running through my head!!! Then as if by magic, we were treated to the most amazing hail storm I've seen since err... the last most amazing hail storm. With hail bouncing off my balding head and Chris saying “ I cant see The Cloud yet” we began the ascent through the fields and there it was “The Cloud”.
I have done The Cloud 9 race twice over the years so sort of knew the way, although I wouldn’t fancy it under torch light, so I sort of knew what to expect and it didn’t disappoint me. As the going got tough and the path narrowed we took a few breathers to keep safe more than anything else (that’s my story and I'm sticking to it) but soon blasted through the miles to the top.
When arriving at the summit, I couldn’t stop thinking how beautiful it was. One side you could see nothing because of the fog, on the other you could see a 1000 different colors and see for ever.
When coming down we just went for it, bit by bit rock by rock and tree root by tree root until eventually it flattened out a bit. In total we covered just about 6 miles, shaving some off the actual 9 mile Cloud 9 run. It was a good little training run though and I look real forward to the real thing in a couple of months.
So Im entered and so is Chris, and hopefully will see a few more of our club there when the day comes. 
For more information visit the Cloud 8 website.
 Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment