About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Monday 20 February 2012

Race Report: Hanley Park Run 21/01/2012 *updated*

Today I marshalled the Hanley Park run even though I was suffering from a sore throat and cough. Yvonne joined Michael and I and when we got there it was good to see a few more runners than normal.  Lesley and Mel Cole from South Cheshire Harriers were also marshalling.  Tommy gave us our jobs and Lesley and I went off to the top of the park to direct runners. Michael got the lovely job of registering the times, glad I wasn’t asked as I’d need my glasses to see the small digital clock.  It was a windy day and I was glad I put



on my rain mac at the last minute. As I jumped up and down and practised my Zumba moves to keep warm, the lead runner was soon on his first  lap, followed by two other runners.  I shouted encouragement to the runners to keep going as they’d soon get out of the  wind. 


There were some Trentham junior runners at the rear of the pack who gave me a thumbs up as they were on their last lap (bless them).  All in all marshalling a 5K only takes 45 minutes out of your day and it helps Tommy and his team keep the Hanley Park Run going, so one down two more to go this year.

Liz

Having only done Hanley parkrun for the second time. I find it very friendly, with only a small number of runners. There were runners from different parts of the country, and all ages. The weather stayed fine, and happily missed the heavy rain, we all encountered, on your return journey home, (in the car, luckily).
 
Michael, who once again volunteered as a marshall, as the parkruns would not exist if it were not for the kindness of people like Michael and Liz (who volunteered a few weeks ago).
 
The course can be a challenge, (if you're trying to get a PB), as there are a few inclines, and after the second time around you're glad that you only have to encounter half of the inclines ahead. A great run and would recommend Flavours coffee shop that we go for coffee, and oatcakes after.
 
For more information on Hanley Parkrun visit their website.

Evonne



No comments:

Post a Comment