About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Tuesday 7 February 2012

Race Report: Alsager 5 05/02/2012

I woke at 8.00am to a blanket of snow and prayed to god that the Alsager 5 was cancelled. I then got a text from Evonne to say she wasn’t running. I called Ken Rushton and he told me that the race was going ahead despite the ground having some slushy white stuff. Next I texted Tom to let him know I’d pick him up. Tom called back sounding really rough with a bad cold so he had to pull out. I left home at 10am and the roads were not too bad, the main roads were clear it was the side streets that were a bit slippery.  Martin and myself ran for the Striders. Andrea was also running with one of her friends. 

On the start line I looked around and saw some really lean running machines and thought
”why am I here”!!  As soon as the start was sounded I was off, mindful of my age and the fact that I did not want to end up in Leighton with a hip replacement I took it easy on the slushy stuff underfoot. When I hit a nice dry patch I sang my mantra of Itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow dot bikini and was soon overtaking people. I had Lesley Cole in my sights – she was only 5 in front of me, if I could hang on to her I might just get under 43.


At 3 miles I spotted Paul Nicholls who shouted “ come on Jill – where’s Liz”!!!!  Now either he was on the ale the night before or he needs glasses.  Jill has curly blonde hair and is taller than little old me!!!  Next I saw an old boy supporting a group G letter for NSRRA,  so,  I got my eyes in his back and went for it. It was cat and mouse then I passed another NSRRA  letter ‘F’ again he chased me.  I ran a bit faster and soon the ‘F’ was behind me.   Lesley had moved up the field so I knew I would not catch her. On the last stretch home, I passed the old MMU car park and I thought I was flying, as I turned into the road, I hit more of the slushy stuff but I was determined to keep going, the end was in site. No sign of ‘F’ but lo and behold ‘G’ was just in front of me.  Paul Nicholls shouted at me to move faster, so sorry “G” but I put on a sprint and got through the finish line in 44.30.   Arrgh 2 minutes slower than last year but at least I finished it with all my limbs intact.  Now off home for some nice hot chocolate.  A big thank you to Paul for supporting the striders – the poor love came on his bike and he must have been frozen to the core.
I met with up with Ann from PMCA who wants to do the Stafford 20 but as a relay. I am up for it, if there is another lady who wants to run with us, let me know ASAP. It’s on 11th March.

For more information, visit the Alsager 5 website.

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment