About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Saturday 24 March 2012

Race Report: Cholmondley Cross Country 18/03/2012

The preparation I put into this race was not the best. I did a Half Marathon in July 2010 but had done nothing competitive since and was feeling shamed by the exploits of the more competitive members. I saw a poster advertising the race at the Bluestones crossroads


and printed off an entry form without looking at the details. Having dispatched my
cheque it occurred to me to look and I discovered, to my horror, that it was billed as a cross country race and not a road race. I had done no off-road running and had not even managed to make it to a torchlight run. Panic stricken, I invested in a pair of trail shoes and did a couple of long runs out along the Salt line returning along the canal towpath back to home in Tetton Lane. I managed a couple of runs around the fields with my dogs and that was it. 

The morning off 18th dawned with heavy rain between 4 and 6 but by the time of the race it had cleared to bring a beautiful, if chilly start. I was accompanied by my daughter, Sophie, official cheerleader and photographer and the remains of the chocolate Mother’s day cake my offspring had made for me on the Friday.

The race was well organised with ample parking off road on the fields to the Cholmondeley estate. The registration tent, catering van and toilets were all located very close to the start together with a large map showing the route.


I had the bizarre experience of being interviewed at the start by a reporter from the Whitchurch Herald who asked some strange questions including, “What did I think of the course?” which seemed odd when I had not actually run the race. The race was started by a lady with a megaphone who gave us instructions to avoid the cattle grids whilst standing directly in front of the field of some 131 runners, stepping aside only at the last minute to avoid being trampled.

The race started with a stretch along the estates drive, out under the ornate white gateway and past the Mere. The grounds are beautiful and it was lovely to see them from inside the estate. About 1m later we emerged from the estate grounds onto the local lanes with a slight uphill climb past some startled horses in the adjacent fields who watched us all with interest. We stayed on the lanes for approximately 2 miles before turning off right onto a track between fields, eventually leaving the track and crossing open farmland. By this stage the field had thinned.

At about 4 miles we encountered a steep climb and the route swung left before the land sloped downhill and we got the chance to recover our breathe. I was reminded that as I waited at the start I had chatted to a local who told me to “save a bit for the Bank”. Gradient details such as 1:4 etc have never meant anything to me- I always thought that meant “only 1 in 4 make it!” The climb was steep and I hoped this was “the Bank” the soothsayer local had referred to as by then I could not face the prospect of something bigger further round the course. 


The latter part of the course travelled over more open grassland before crossing Donald McCain’s gallops and entering a shale section. It then emerged into a muddy lane before we finally came back into the Estate, approaching the finish along the drive with a final 100m on grass to be rewarded by a bottle of water at the finish.

This was not the most sophisticated of events but it was a charity race with a Fun Run alongside. Although there were clearly some very experienced runners present, it was very relaxed and perfect to dip a trail shoe into the competitive environment. I had set myself a goal of finishing in an hour and did it in 56.03 so went home feeling pleased. Although it was hard work I found I did not ache as much as I do after pounding the pavements. 

Sophie and I consumed the “Mum” section of my chocolate cake and departed to hit Sainsbury’s on the way home. That was when I realised that when cross country running it is wise to take a change of footwear for the journey home – any tips on how to clean very muddy trail shoes gratefully received! 

PS I got my trail shoes on line at WWW.ROYLES.BIZ which is worth looking at if you want some new shoes as they have a good selection of road and trail shoes at greatly reduced prices. Mine cost £23.99 inclusive of p&p and arrived a day later

For more information visit the event website.

Kay

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kay, I have tried two ways of dealing with dirty trail shoes, put them in the washing machine or just don't bother, both work very well! Jill recommends jet washing but that seems a little OTT (:

    ReplyDelete