About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Tuesday 6 March 2012

Race Report: Cloud 9 04/03/2012

Cloud 9 Fell Race



I ran the Cloud 9 for the first time after months of pestering from Paul, Perry, and Christiane. Bob gave up his number to me for free, so thank you Bob. I hope I did you proud, and really hope they change the name on the system, I never really fancied being called Bob :-).



On arrival to the centre we experienced rain and cold. I decided to take one of the yellow waterproof plastic bags that the marshalls were using to protect themselves from the harsh conditions we were all about to face. At the start, the rain thankfully stopped.


Commentary on the public address system was not loud and it was hard to hear what was being said. The conclusion for me was that we should go home back to bed, but I don't think anyone agreed with me. So off we went, it seemed fine until the first incline where the terrain got muddy and slippy.

I tried my best to stay dry for as long as I could, and that was hard work in itself. Yes, I got to the point where I thought to hell with it. Which I think for all the rest of the team (who I may say had done it before) just went for it and knew there was no point holding back. I passed Paul a few miles in, I hope the tap on the bum was pleasant :-). As the incline for the biggest hill I have ever ran up began, I was told the scenery was lovely along with the snow.



The enjoyment factor was good at that point as my knee felt fine until the decline where i started to suffer. From then on for me it was a battle to the end. So I enjoyed the scenery once again and chatted to fellow runners in which I got told I would soon feel in a state of euphoria. At the end I got a cheer from the others who had finished which was great, and I made it in 1:28 on my watch. After waiting for the others to finish the cup of soup I had been longing for arrived and I began to feel better and warmer.


The goody bags were great also, even though we did have to queue up for them whilst they were being put together.



Overall I would recommend the run to those who like a challenge, and do not go looking for a PB from it, as it is a testing course with stops though-out and some great views.


For more information visit Congleton Harriers' website.

Evonne

1 comment:

  1. Great report Evonne, hope the knees better soon.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete