About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Sunday 18 March 2012

Race Report: Stafford 20 11/03/2012

With only six weeks until the London Marathon, today’s race was a good opportunity to test myself and my race plan. I was chauffeured to the race by John Lawton (thanks John) and we met Bob (the real one) and Liz at the Stafford University campus. 
Perry


My plan for today was to start at a sensible steady pace rather than going off like an idiot as normal, to drink regularly, make sure I used my gels and hopefully avoid running out of steam in the later stages. I was looking for a finish in three hours if all went according to plan.

We collected our race mug, sweatband and t-shirts (Alsager 5???) and after a short warm-up we all lined up for the start, John, Bob and myself to do the 20 miles and Liz to do the first of three legs (the longest and most hilly) as part of a relay team.

Bob
On the advice from our Sports Science guru, thanks Clare, I took a Pro-Plus caffeine tablet just before the start and after a quick circuit of the campus grounds we were out onto the roads and into the first lap of eight miles.

I checked my watch every mile for the first five to ensure I wasn’t going too fast and settled into a comfortable pace. With my first gel taken followed a short while later by the first water station I was soon back at the University ready to start the next lap, I checked my watch to find I was five minutes ahead of schedule and feeling good.

LIz

The second lap of six miles had less incline that the first and went without incident. As I approached the University again at the end of lap two I encountered two marshals in the road shouting “stay left, stay left” so I moved over as instructed only to be told sternly, “no not you”, this was when the leader drew level with me about to finish his twenty miles and little old me at only mile fourteen about to start the third and last lap. How do people run that fast?

The third lap was a repeat of the second and checking my watch again I found myself nearly eight minutes ahead of schedule. This is the first race that I have been disciplined in checking my pace, ensuring I drank regularly and used my gels when I should and I found the difference amazing, I actually felt good.

John
At mile seventeen and still feeling good I decided to up the pace a little and these last three miles were my quickest. Back at the University for the third and last time it really was my turn to “stay left”, through the gate and a short dash to the finish line in 2:50:44

Would I do this race again? Definitely, it’s only a short distance off the M6, has easy parking, a quick exit, good marshals and free photo courtesy of Bryan Dale. If you’re training for a spring marathon it is the ideal distance and time.

 For more information, visit the website.

Perry
















 






No comments:

Post a Comment