About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Tuesday 27 March 2012

Race Report: Stafford Half Marathon 25/03/2012

The weather conditions were excellent for the Stafford Half Marathon.  Cool to start off with and heating up as the day progressed.  With over 2,500 entries  I edged my way to the 1hr 50 mark. I felt that I should really try and push forward.  However, I forgot how turny twisty the actual course was. 

Liz at mile 2
I saw a few faces I recognised and heard a lot of Geordie accents in the line up. The race
itself was extremely well organised, and the crowds really got behind the Stafford half by cheering at certain points along the route. There was plenty of water stations and a few toilets around the course.

The race took you through several housing estates and then along a track not unlike our salt line then on to the canal footpath.  Once you came off that, you had 800 metres to run through the town centre streets. I found myself catching up with Rita Banks who encouraged me to try and get under 2 hours (thanks).  I crossed the finish line in 1:55:29 and received the 2nd lady Vet 55 for my efforts.  You got a nice medal and lovely black funky tee-shirt and of course there was plenty of free trade bananas.  If you want a pb – I would recommend this course.

For more information visit the Stafford Half website.

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment