About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Friday 23 March 2012

Race Report: Wuthering Hike 10/03/2012

Towards the end of 2011 (due to a significant reduction in available training time) I made the decision to not run any long races during 2012 & to concentrate on lots of short, quick 

Michael, Giles and Chris on the cobbles of Howarth's main street
races to try & improve my speed.  This started well but I find short races very hard - you
need to focus & put in 100% effort from start to finish to achieve a good result.  Training is also hard as in order to get quicker you have to run quicker so it’s interval & tempo runs required.  With limited time (at some rather unusual times) to get the training in I find it difficult to motivate myself to train hard & tend to just run for the enjoyment of it, if I don’t get out as much as I used to I may as well make sure I enjoy it when I do!

So having decided that running fast is too much like hard work I thought I’d sign up for another ultra.  Ultra running is so much easier than funning fast – no trying to achieve a specific time you’ve simply got all day to wander round a course & you can put in effort whenever you like or just stop for a walk if you feel like a break.  I find running ultra marathons the most hassle & stress free form of running there is, it’s like going for a training run but easier.  Somebody else has already planned an interesting route for you taking in all the best bits of the local scenery, they’ve laid on food & drink at suitable points to save you carrying it & they’ve also gathered together lots of other like-minded runners to enjoy it with.  All of this for what must be the best value/mile of any type of running event, all you need to do is turn up & run.

This particular ultra is the dually titled Howarth Hobble/Wuthering Hike a 32 mile, 4400ft climb run beginning & ending in Howarth. I’ve done this one before so I’ll compare my training & performance for 2011 vs 2012:

Training for 2011:                     enough, including 3 x 20+ miles off-road runs around Yorkshire
Training for 2012:                     very little (essentially 1 x 18 mile run along Nantwich Road)

Finishing Time 2011:                 5hrs 42mins
Finishing Time 2012:                 6hrs 12mins

Summary:                                 More training = better performance

I think that provides definite proof that training does improve performance but would also like to add that confidence has a big part to play.  I would judge myself as significantly under trained to take on an event like this but with some experience from previous events coupled with some self-belief it’s possible to make yourself complete any challenge.  I’m just pleased to have had a great day out in the countryside with my fellow club mates (Michael & Chris B) & to have completed the course.

Chris enjoying a cheeky dram at mile 21. One possible reason for slower times this year Giles?
 
For me ultras will always be the best part of my running world.  The ability to cover long distances on foot just because I can gives me a nice smug feeling.  It’s not a feeling of being better or fitter than anyone else its just that feeling of achieving something that other people so easily assume (without even trying) is beyond themselves.

For more information visit the Wuthering Hike website.

Giles

2 comments:

  1. Bloody 'ell Giles don't make it sound too easy, most folk mistakenly think you have to be hard to do this sort of thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Ultra running is much easier than running fast"........???

    I can't wait to read your race report after you've run the Marathon des Sables !!


    Jason

    ReplyDelete