About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Tuesday 1 May 2012

Race Report: Newcastle 7 15/04/2012

On Sunday 15 April I ran the Newcastle 7 race at the new start time of 10.00am. John Lawton was in my thoughts and with each step I prayed that we’d all hear something positive soon. The race itself was full and the morning was bright but a bit chilly, so as usual, the dilemma of what to wear started.  Of course, I made the mistake of wearing a short sleeved tee-shirt under my vest which was just too hot!!  



The race is always a fast start and as we covered the first mile we were soon at the dreaded hill, which I swear gets longer each year.  The hill is a steady climb for about 1 ½ to 2 miles but at the top of it you feel exhilitrated that you actually got up it without stopping.   The rest of the course is undulating and the last mile is fast as you turn into the road at Newcastle College and finish on a little bit of a hill.  I tried to get under the hour but just missed it by one minute.  

 Next year I’ll get under that hour!!!  The changing rooms are ok with plenty of hot water and there’s also spot prizes ( you have to hand in your race number). This year I won my hubby a pair of socks.  Yes, I would recommend this local race to other runners, it’s a bit different that the normal flat courses and you can challenge yourselves on the hill.   

Liz

PS I did a two hour zumbathon from 2-4pm for Cancer Research after this race – my legs are feeling it now!!!!

For more information visit the Staffs SC website.

No comments:

Post a Comment