About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Thursday 3 May 2012

Race Report: Sandstone Trail 10k 15/04/2012

To date, I think my race reports could all be subtitled "Confessions of a Virgin   ---(insert appropriate distance) Runner" as I feel as if I have been on a steep learning curve in the past month. Since beginning my competitive career 1 month ago, I have managed to do 


the Cholmondeley 10k, one Hanley Park run, the Chester Spring 5 and now the Sandstone Trail. Each foray out has brought its own lesson – sometimes trivial but always pertinent.
For instance, at Chester I wasted about 30 seconds doing up my laces about 5 minutes into the race -  This Sunday was no exception!

After a false start and a return home to get my Garmin (no kit checklist – lesson one of the day) I arrived at Beeston Market car park 1 hour in advance to find – nothing!
The place was deserted. 2 minutes later about 3 cars full of South Cheshire Harriers pulled up and after we had all stood around scratching our heads in true Homer Simpson style “Doh”, one bright spark sprinted to the top of the grass bank to the side of the car park and note that the race was actually 2 fields further down the A49! A few more signs from the Beeston railway bridge would not have gone amiss.

I registered and donned the green NSPCC vest provided and warmed up, spotting Heather arriving but no other familiar faces. I realised that I had left my  midrace sustenance (M & S jellybabies) on the kitchen surface (checklist again)

The race set off in a field behind Beeston Market and quickly exited onto the local lanes, rising steadily but not too steeply at that stage. After skirting Beeston Castle, we then peeled off the lanes and set off up a narrow bridleway and onto the Sandstone trail proper, climbing all the time. By this point, I had discovered that I had not switched my Garmin on properly and it was enjoying a nice day off, save for telling me the time.

The midsection of the race consisted of a lengthy steep trip along the trail, getting progressively steeper and harder, passing through a wooded area before dropping down towards the farm land below. I was relieved to look ahead and see people walking to conserve energy. 

The trail across the farmland included a number of stiles to negotiate and a descent down a cobbled lane. We ran across a couple of fields of ridge and furrow although mercifully there was a flattened path to follow which made life easier.

By this stage the route had dropped down considerably and we finished with a sprint across the field where we had started. The countryside was beautiful and the weather, although chilly to start, was bright and sunny. The run was well supported. I had gone on my own but, I was cheered over the finish by my number, which was very morale boosting.

I then discovered that I should have worn my chip on my ankle not my wrist after an official sprinted up to me to point this out but said that I would be clocked in anyway. At time of typing I have not had my official time yet.

All in all, it was a lovely race, a good experience and both the field and organisers were very friendly.

For more information, visit the website.

Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment