About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Wednesday 27 June 2012

Race Report: Stone St Michaels 10k

On Sunday 24 June I ran my 8th NSRRA race which was the Stone St Michael’s 10K. 
Time for some jazz hands at mile 2


As I set off the morning was cool and overcast.  Perfect weather for running as in previous years it has always been very hot and sun tan cream and glasses were a definite must.  Not today though, no need for the sunglasses.

I joined other runners on the starting line and noticed that there seemed to be a lot of runners this year.  This was due to the fact that there was a large contingency of runners from Stafford and also Wales as it was the Stafford and the Welsh Championships.  So, I thought that means no pressure on me as Liz Clutton will get First V55  followed by a Welsh or Stafford V55.
Still smiling at 7km
This race is a good 10K even though it is two laps it is flat and there is the potential to get a good time.  The course is well marshalled and both the markers are in miles and kilometres.  I set myself an 8.30 pace and was bang on target right up to 8km when I seemed to lose a few minutes.   Rita Banks was in front of me so I kept her in my sights.  I also spotted Vic (G runner) in front and decided to chase him as he’s got a good pace. 

The rain came down but only for a few minutes and then the sun came out.  I finished in a time 54.10 which ironically was the exact same time as last year, even though I thought I was moving faster!!
Another first lady vet v55 - one more for the trophy cabinet!
There’s changing facilities and a storage area for your bag and plenty of opportunity to buy cakes and other items as there is a little mini fete.  I was presented with the first lady Vet 55 prize and I also got a couple of teddy bears from my lovely grandkids.   
Liz with olympic torch
Rita Banks was the torch bearer and let the Primary School borrow the torch so that runners could be photographed with it , that was an opportunity I could not miss. All in all a very good day and I would thoroughly recommend this race. Maybe next year I’ll beat the illusive 54 minutes if I step up my interval training with the help of some fellow striders.

For more information visit the Stone 10k website.

Liz