About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Thursday 19 July 2012

Race Report: Trentham 10 15/07/2012

Being married to the Chairman of Trentham Running Club meant I got roped in to helping out at the race today prior to actually running it. I was put on car parking duty for over an hour. I never knew that the little field at the side of the school could take so many cars.
Kay with her jazz hands
At 10.00am I went to pick up my number, only to find that they had not received my entry
form or cheque!!! So hopefully that will get sorted out as I did give my entry form and cheque to my hubby months ago!  I never saw Kay, a fellow strider at the start of the race but saw a few fellow runners that I recognised.  Gail Earp was in front of me as was the two South Cheshire Harrier ladies (Sue and Janet). This race is always a fast start, mostly because you have to run downhill.  As we rounded the corner and turned along past a few fields you come to a road that has a bit of an upwards gradient. So I looked to the ground and dug in.  Soon I was at the dreaded  “Beeches Caves”. Now for those of you who are not familiar with the Stafford hills, this section of the race is a bit of a climb and when you get to the top of the climb there are friendly marshals encouraging you to dig in.

Liz with her new watch and shorts! But still it didn’t make her faster!

Why? because as your turn left the climb keeps going. I was determined not to walk this year even though my wee legs were screaming out in pain ( I ran the wizard on the Thursday and forgot that it was a hilly one too).  As I got to the top of the climb, a familiar face ( or back) when whizzing past me, yes it was NSRRA “G” man.  I dug in and caught up with him and for the next 3 miles I kept him in my sight.
Liz the second time around.
The next few miles were pleasant and there was a lovely downhill at about 3 ½ miles so I managed to overtake a few folk.  Gail Earp was in front of me, she must have been eating something different lately as she was flying.  I caught up with one of her fellow running club members who also noticed this, together we tried to catch her but she was too fast for us today.  No sooner had I completed the first 5 mile loop when the second one was upon me.  Again, I repeated Jason’s mantra –“ look at the ground and I must get up this ruddy hill without stopping”.  

Kay smiling for the camera

I was aiming for at least 1.30 today so I concentrated on passing people.  The finishing mile was fast approaching and another hill was in the distance.  Just what you need at the end of the race, another blasted hill!!!  As I looked at my brand spanking new bright yellow stop watch (with big numbers on it) I saw that I was over the 1.30 time limit I had set myself.  I finished in 1.32.59 a bit slower but at least I got up the hills.  This race is challenging but if you are good on hills then it is one for you !!  Me, well I think I need to go and do some hill training on a Monday night then I may get under the 1.30 next time.
Here is a link to the Trentham 10 website.

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment