About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Thursday 9 August 2012

Race Report: Crowden Horseshoe 8m 29/07/2012

Crowden Horse Shoe 8m 1700ft
Thankfully the torrential rain that greeted me at registration cleared up for the race and the weather was fine
except for a brief shower on the highest of the moors. I've not done this race before but the route is well known to me so the ankle twisting neck breaking terrain came as no surprise. The combination of muddy rocky paths, narrow channels above vertical drops, slippy flag stones, miles of bog and steep descents makes it necessary to concentrate very hard on this one.

Four miles of climbing with a couple of stream crossings brought me to Soldiers Lump the bleak summit of the aptly named Black Hill. Here is the turning point with 4 miles return by a parallel route down to the start/finish line at Crowden outdoor pursuits centre. This summit also marks the start of the real fun..... bog! Lots of it and nicely conditioned by recent showers and months of high rainfall.
Still the down hill aspect soon had me recovered from the grind of the climb and managing to keep a good pace I found myself fully enjoying the race and even risked a few brief glances at the views. Time and distance flew and having gained a few places I found myself at the top of the final difficult descent. Thankfully the legs still felt strong and I gained more ground on my pursuers allowing a quick but unpressured run to the finish line.
Just under 1 hour up and over 30 minutes down giving me a final time of 1 hour 30 minutes with only one fall and a handful of partial immersions in the bog, I was very happy with that. Jill and the dog met me at the end having just finished a good walk and as we headed back to the car we spotted a few competitors washing away the mud in the river. Being particularly well coated myself I joined them and found yet another use for my Buff which made an excellent flannel.So being a bit cleaner we headed to the nearby campsite shop and celebrated with cake and coffee before heading home for a proper bath.
It had been a good morning out, but there was a feeling of some sadness as I recalled at various points that the last time I ran this route it had been in the company of our much missed friend John Lawton.
Chris Brumby

No comments:

Post a Comment