About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Monday 10 September 2012

Race Report: Ipstones 5 8/09/2012

On Saturday 8 September I ran the Ipstones 5 mile race. Thankfully I got a lift from Janet and Sue of South Cheshire Harriers as my sense of direction when I get anywhere near the  Leek/Ashborne road leaves a lot to be desired.

Thank god for a bit of flat road!
Having got up early, done shopping, cleaning and ironing and then out of the door on my way to Talke Pits for a lift, I felt a bit undecided about the race. You see I ran this race about 13 years ago and all I could remember was that it started at a Fire Station and there was always a lot of tea and homemade cakes after the race. We got there a good hour before the start and if I had driven myself I would have never made it as I definitely would have gone in the totally opposite direction. (Thanks Janet).


Talking to some of the runners they told me it was a tough 5 miles and the hill was a killer. Arrgh – I am not great on hills. So, standing around waiting to start the race in the heat was not ideal! We should have stood under some trees for shade. The start was quick, no count down just a “go” and then it was the start of the hill. The “hill” went on for 1½  miles, then it flattened out. My mate “G” man came flying past me at 2 miles so I locked my eyes into his back and thought I have got to catch him this time. Soon, his buddy “F” man was on his heels (aww naw) with thoughts of Pat and John encouraging me, I reeled in “F” man. As I got to about 3½ miles a flaming tractor decided to tailgate me, the road was wide enough for him to pass but he decided to crawl up the hill then stop. Thinks I what hope have I of getting up this little hill if the tractor can’t. Malcom a (very fast walker) from Trentham RC was in front of me and I caught up with him. I asked him “any more hills” and he smiled at me. Probably because he was trying to catch his breath.
 
I ran on for another half a mile, looked at my watch and realised I was not moving as fast as I should be. I turned round the corner and before me was a very long winding hill, I saw people stopping and power walking. Remembering Jason’s advice I looked at the ground, dug in, and got to the top without stopping. (Woo hoo!) I could have murdered some water (no water stop) and it was so hot. Just as I got off the hill it flattened out. I felt good, so picked up my pace and managed to overtake a few people, there was a marshall at the corner shouting "it’s all downhill from here", but hey we have all heard that before. 

However she was right, I could see the crowd at the finish line and I seemed to fly down the last ¼ mile. I did 47.51 (I think), picked up some NSRRA points and completed my 10th race. Only 2 more to get my 12 in. “G” man was just in front of me. I’ll have to try harder at St Thomas’s on the 16th.
 
For those of you that fancy a challenging hilly race, this is definitely one for you. I would do it again, but, I really do need to get in some serious hill sessions and remember to take my water bottle.

For more information visit the NSRAA website

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment