About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Thursday 11 October 2012

Race Report: Congleton Half Marathon 07/10/2012



Two races One Weekend. 

  
A weekend of PB’s with a sting in the tail.

Well a full weekend of racing was had this weekend with great results.  Firstly there was
the ever popular Hanley Park run. This in my case was round two of Dad vs Son. I arrived at Hanley Park along with George for our second race over 10k. When we arrived, we met up with Paul Barnett and his friend from Leicester, who often runs the Leicester park run. Myself had never done the Hanley park run before but George had. He said to me that his tactic to beat me on this occasion was to just stick with me all the way and knowing that he is a better sprinter than me he could easily out sprint me in a head to head finish. The poor lad, at 16 he has not quite realised the concept of distance running and had given me an idea for my tactics. Now I know that George can pull off a mile in about 7 mins on the tread mill, but when he has done so is dead on his feet due to lack of stamina. Therefore the plan was simple; if I knocked out a couple of 8 min miles then by the time mile 3 came he would be lagging behind with nothing in the tank.

What I had not banked on was the course at Hanley. The course is exceptionally hilly, quite slippery and energy zapping. We were greeted by the organizers who were very very friendly and organize this event giving their own time for no financial reward. Anyhow, we set off and I took off at practically full speed with George running alongside me, we went up the mammoth set of hills and back a round to complete lap 1. A quick check of the watch showed about an 8-20 mile and with the nature of the hills I was quite happy. George on the other hand was already looking a little uncomfortable, I thought a quick second lap would have him beat so just gave it all on my second lap and sure enough mile 2 was completed in just another 8-20. Now at this point George was really struggling, he had a stitch and was having to stop and walk a while. Now me, being the excellent good Father I am and a trained nurse thought I had better stop and walk run with him to the end to check he is alright. Now then, I did say thought didn’t I? Yes I thought about it for approximately 1 second before the other evil side of my brain said “keep going and you could get a PB” and that is exactly what I done. Completing the last mile in a slower 9mins 12 seconds and could even see Paul Barnett crossing the line who had had a leisurely 23 min 11 run. George then returned to the finish in what was a personal worst 29 mins. The good thing though is I know that George will be straight back on the tread mill training harder to beat me next time.

We toddled off to the café for a spot of breakfast along with Paul & his friend for a bite to eat. The only down side to the race was that Paul picked up a parking ticket for parking in the residents zones, dam drat blast.

CONGLETON HALF MARATHON

So on to Congleton the bandwagon rolled for the Congleton Half Marathon known as the sting in the tail.

I had met with friends and decided to utilize the camper and stay in Congleton for the weekend. An early night was disturbed by a partying wife leaving me rather blurry eyed when I arrived at the start. I met fellow striders Liz and Perry and we then managed to locate Christiana, I had also been speaking with Hannah Arnott who had attended the club a few times and wanted someone to start with as it was her first Half Marathon. I agreed with Hannah to meet her too so with plenty of time before the start the group was complete.

Now, the Sting in the tail ½ is one of my favorite ½ marathons. I have done this race 
twice before, once in 2005 in 2hrs 21 and also in the month I joined the club in 2010 in 2hrs 30. However on this occasion I wanted to use it as a training exercise for the upcoming déjà vue. Liz was looking to try and go sub 1-55, Christiana was hoping to enjoy herself and Perry was just hoping to get round due to injury. I had said to Liz I would try and be a pacer for her, I would set off nice and slow for the first mile and then I would go quick to get the pace right for a sub 1-55 before dying off at about mile 8 or 9 allowing her to get to the end at the correct pace. Confused? Yes so was I!!! Well with a few tips for Hannah about not setting off to fast and the mist beginning to clear to allow us nice dry sunny weather we were off and running.

My slow start and doing a couple of marathon 10 min miles went out the window after approximately 300 yards. As we came down the hill and began the climb up past Tesco’s my phone app indicated I had completed mile 1 in just 9-05. At this point we were pretty much all together and could still see Perry about 100 yards in front. As we came to mile 2 and began a decent down a rather long hill I thought I would take off for a bit of fun. The 2nd mile was done in 8-20 and as the miles kept going past I was averaging approximately 8-40 min miles. I could no longer see Liz behind me and could see Perry in front of me at about 50 yards. By the time I came to the water station at mile 6, Christiana came past me whilst I stopped to open a gel and wash it down. We then ran on together for a few miles again with Perry just in front, before I knew it I could not believe what I was hearing 7 miles completed in only 1hr 1min, amazing I thought, even if I blow up (which was highly likely) I would still struggle in about 2hrs. I informed Christiana of what time we were on and suggested we keep up the pace and try and record a good time. My target at this point was Perry, as long as I could keep him in my sights I would be sure of a good time although I could also see his injury was sadly making him struggle.

As the race continued and the going started to get a little tough Christiana was beginning to pull away from me very slowly. I tried to keep with her by telling the other runners around me that I would not be letting her get away. With some encouragement they told me to keep going and catch her up, im not sure if I was boring them or they were genuine but I kept trying. At 11 miles she was still there in front of me as we hit the sting in the tail. So called because just when you think the pain is over there it is, a giant steep but short hill to get up. At this point I had to walk up the hill, I just could not summon the strength to run it, just as I hit the top of it, it had zapped my energy making me think I had nothing left. I had a quick drink and kept going; this is where being in a club just gives you that little bit extra. 


There at mile 12ish just when I wanted to throw in the towel and give it all up, just when I could no longer see Christiana or Perry and began thinking I may as well walk the rest, get 2 hours and be happy with my days work, I heard it. Like a fog horn out of the mist there was this “COME ON PAUL GET A MOVE ON” shouted at me, it was Martin Coleman who had come over to offer a bit of support and boy just when I needed it. I thought about all the training that I had been doing, the marathon I had recently ran and summoned the last bit of energy I had to get me over the line. With a big sprint to the finish I looked up at the clock to see 1-56 something, and Perry and Christiana there recovering. I thought I must have been quite close to a PB and could not wait to see the chip time. What I was more pleased about was the fact that I had shaved an incredible 34 mins off my previous running of this event. 

Shortly after, Liz arrived over the line finishing in a very respectful 156-09 and picking up the prize for first lady Vet 55. Liz appeared delighted with her result, but not as delighted as Cristiana was who after 17 months had beaten her PB set at Chester coming home in a time of 154.41. Hannah then came across the line in a time of 156-25 a very respectful time for a first half marathon.

So what about me, yes I was pleased to come in, in such an improved time but had been a total idiot. Whilst Liz and Christiana were celebrating their success I was oblivious to something, I thought my PB for a half marathon was 1-54, I had not given any thought to the possibility of breaking this on such a hilly course, neither having trained for a half marathon did I think I would get anywhere near breaking my PB. I was just happy to work as Liz’s pace setter and record a time under 2 hours. However when I began writing this I had looked at my time and seen that my Chip time was a very respectful 1hr 55-52, I then looked at the club web site to see my actual previous PB was a 155-55 secured at Chester in the same race as Christiana some 17 months ago. I had missed the opportunity to go YES YES YES a new PB: all be it by 3 seconds. So im doing it now YES YES YES a new PB WHOOP WOO……. But I really do believe that when this marathon is out the way, if I can get back to basics I really fancy going sub 1-55 or even a sub 1-50 sometime next year.
So thanks’ to Congleton Harriers for a fantastic race, at just £15 such great value, a real nice T-shirt this year but no medal to go on the “Paul of fame” in my hall way. Would be a great event to see more striders at next year especially as it’s so local too. 

For more information visit the Hanley Parkrun or Congleton Half Marathon website.

Paul N

No comments:

Post a Comment