About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Tuesday 9 October 2012

Race Report: Congleton Half Marathon 07/10/2012

I took a leaf out of Giles book and followed his pre race plan. On Saturday I drank lots of fluid (even had water at the pub) and made sure I had chicken and rice for tea. Next morning I got up early and had some porridge and honey followed by a banana.  


At 8 am Perry arrived and we set off for the race. The day was cold and foggy. When we
got to the race parking was a real breeze.  The Sweatshop running company were there and had a sale on and a lovely pair of hot pink Asics Culumus 13’s caught my eye.  Woo hoo they were my size.  However, I didn’t bring any cash with me and my hubby had no cash, but, Ken Rushton came to the rescue and said he had some money and would see me after the race. (I said a little prayer that they would still be there).

Paul was explaining his race strategy to me of going steady for the first three miles and then doing a sub 8.40 mile for the rest of the race. This sounded like a good strategy and if I stuck to it I could get my 1.55 time. So, with that in mind I lined up with Perry, Paul and Christianna.  It was too cold for a long warm up so we went back and forth to the car and used the first mile to warm up.  The gun went off and as usual I was off fast. I kept up with Perry for the first two miles or so and on the third mile Paul past me shouting that he would be doing his sub 8.40 pace, so I stayed with him and Christianna for a good 6 miles.  I was passing lots of people and felt really good, the first hill was no problem so I picked up my pace a bit more.  I saw some of the people I race against in the NSRRA league and I was passing them today. Paul was still in my sight and I could see Christianna.  Soon I was at 10 and half miles and approaching the Sting in the Tail.  Just as I was starting to climb this I heard a voice singing my mantra of “hot chocolate drinking chocolate” to get up the hill, yes it was our Paul, I followed suit and was really chuffed not to have to stop on this hill.  

As soon as I got to the top I saw a lad in front of me, he had a picture of someone on his back and was wearing the verifeet running shoes, which look comfortable. I decided to catch him up to ask him if he was running for a charity and also how he found running in these funny looking shoes.  Just as we got chatting, a very tall lad running behind me (Knutsford Club) asked me if I knew “Grant Stanning” yip replied I,  and he said “I’m Darren, I share an office with him” We both found out that the lad was running in memory of his little brother who was out jogging last year and collapsed and died.  After this little chat, I spotted Martin who was cheering all theS triders on and realised I only had a mile and half to go. I asked “John” to get behind me and push me hard so I could aim for the 1.55 and get back to buy my pink shoes.   Just as I approached the 400m to go sign I saw Paul and put on a sprint to try and catch him so I could get the 1.55. My watch showed that I was just over it. I got in at 1.56.09 .   I was really pleased as I managed to knock off over 6 and a half minutes from my 2010 time.

We got back into the hall collected our goody bags and a nice black t-shirt. My hot pink running shoes were still there, so like Cinderella I tried them on and they fitted. I paid for them and Perry and I finished the day of with a nice hot cuppa (alas they had no hot chocolate).

When I arrived home, my hubby soon came back, poor lamb had gone round the course on his bike and he was frozen solid. He had stayed to watch the prize giving as two of his Trentham Ladies came in 2nd and 3rd.  He then told me that some “old bird” had won the Vet 55. I thought that would have been Liz Clutton, but I didn’t see her at the race.

He then handed me an envelope with a medal. Woo hoo I got a new pair of shoes and a prize, yip a £20 voucher for Sweatshop.  All in all I had a really good race.   

For more information visit the Congleton Half Marathon website.

Liz

1 comment:

  1. Yay. I'm the very tall lad who knows Grant Stanning :o) Nice report and thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete