About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Monday 10 December 2012

Race Report: Liverpool Princes Parkrun 5k



Princes Parkrun, Liverpool... 2 Race Reports over 2 weeks

 
On Saturday 24th November I decided to run Princes Parkrun in Liverpool. The weather
was bitterly cold, the ground was covered in frost and whilst I was making my way to the start, was doubting whether the event would go ahead. My doubts were raised more as I entered the park and slipped several times due to the ice, which unknown at the time, actually turned out to be the runs closing straight.


Surely enough, with the volunteer’s words of caution, the run did go ahead and 122 runners completed the frosty 5k route. The run starts in the middle of the park before going anti-clockwise for two and a half laps of the parks loop path before returning and ending again, in the middle of the park. I almost slipped on one of the first corners, but the ground held its own and I had no other issues, nor did I thankfully hear of any injuries after speaking with other runners after the event. The temperature actually seemed to warm up quite quickly, and conveniently for the runners seemed to do so shortly after the start of the run.


Parking is no problem at all and as the race starts in the middle of the park. The atmosphere, as with every parkrun I’ve completed or heard about, is very friendly. I’ve been told the nearby Sefton, Otterspool and Caulderstones parks are more picturesque, but the run does pass a small lake. I’ve heard the fewer dog walkers and tourists at Princes than the other nearby parks were the reasons for its location, which definitely weren’t an issue at Princes during the run. It’s not flat, but Princes is certainly not as undulating as the Hanley parkrun. I’d like to think it was due the frost (and partly due to my hangover) that I finished in a time of 21:33; a more positive spin is that I finished 27th out of 122. This was certainly more about enjoying the run though (and staying injury free) than the time though and it was indeed, a very enjoyable run. Would I do it again?... Well, I actually did it the following week too and persuaded our very own club chairman, Michael Escolme, to join me.


I met Michael before the start. As usual, we were both coming out with reasons for our pre-empted poor performance and excuses if the other one wins. I had my usual and exaggerated Saturday morning hangover excuse and Michael had apparently consumed his bodyweight in chips at our quiz night the evening before. The ground was not icy this week and there seemed to be a few less runners. I managed to finish in 11th out of 99 in a time of 21:07. Michael finished not far behind in 23rd in a time of 22:23. We also had a quick chat with Vicky Unsworth, winner of the Crewe Déjà vu, who runs this as her local run; it was a pleasant change to not have her powering past me twenty odd times on this run as she had done a few weeks ago. We had a coffee at Otterspool Cafe after where the sausage butties were self proclaimed to be “the best in Liverpool” (I’d have to agree they were pretty good) and we could have a chat with some of the other runners.

Thanks to Karen Schofield for the pics.
  
For more information visit the Princes Parkrun website.

Paul Barnett

No comments:

Post a Comment