About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Saturday 9 February 2013

Race Report: Alsager 5 03/02/2013

Today I ran the Alsager 5, despite waking up at 3am with a stinking head cold.  As the weather had picked up at 10am I thought I’d be ok to run it. When I arrived at the race I notices that there were lots or people warming up in only their vests but as it had started to rain and there was a little wind I decided to keep on my long sleeve top.  Now that was a stupid decision. 


My game plan was to try and get under 42, bearing in mind that last year I did 44.36 but then again it was a bitterly cold day and it had been snowing.  As I lined up I noticed I was surrounded by a hell of a lot of NSRRA “W” group ladies, some I did not recognise but I am sure I’ve just grouped them over the last few weeks.  I spotted Liz Clutton and I knew she would come in first in my age category, there was no point in trying to catch her as she is faster than me.  Next I got a tap on the shoulder and there was Tom Mayell, I think we were the only two Striders there this morning. 
 
The chip timing came in the form of an ankle tag and, it looked like we’d all been set free on patrol for the day to race!! Must say it was a very good system because the velcro strap stuck to your stocks and there was no way that baby was budging.  The 3, 2, 1 call when out and we were off.  As per usual the start is always a bit chaotic and only really gets under way when you turn the corner and are on the old MMU road.  I soon found my feet, pardon the pun, and got going. I saw Tom up ahead and fixed my eyes on his back, soon he was off in the distance and a mere blur.  Liz Clutton passed me by in the first mile, then my old mate “G” Man passed me in the 3rd mile.   I heard someone shout my name and it was good to see Martin Coleman on the side of the road cheering me on.  Thanks.  Soon I was on the home straight and looking at my watch I was just over 41 minutes. I tried hard to catch a few in front of me and finally finished in 42.22 minutes.   Now I am all snuggly and warm in bed with a hot toddy.
 
For more information visit the website.
 
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment