About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Wednesday 20 March 2013

Race Report: Stafford Half Marathon 17/03/2013

Today I ran the Stafford Half Marathon. When I first woke up to snow and ice I thought it might have been cancelled as normally they have more snow up that end, but alas it melted ever so quickly.  



I left at 8.30am and for once I was not driving but meeting up with Sue and Jan from South Cheshire Harriers.  We got there at 9.20am and as it was a bitterly cold day I decided to run in my 3/4s and long sleeves. My lovely wee hubby bought me some gore-tex mittens to keep my hands nice and warm and gave me them on Saturday morning, ( this of course had nothing to do with the fact he was off to Cardiff to watch the rugby). It was a nice surprise though. I thought to myself “I’ll write a report on these” !!! 
 
I saw Liz Clutton at the start so  I knew I was not going to get the first Vet prize today. No pressure.  I moved myself down from the 1.50 pen but I knew I’d do around about 2.05 as I am not as race fit this year. The Stafford half starts off in the Town Centre and the crowds are great are cheering you on.  The course is undulating.  At mile 3 there is a railway bridge and a bit of a climb after that. It was here I started with a headache, I kept on going and it eased off. As I was running I didn’t feel the cold in my hands as they were  really nice and toasty and a bit sweaty in my new mittens, however, I didn’t want to take them off.
 
At mile 11 you go along a track very like the salt line for a good two miles. I was in front of Sue and Jan and was going really well until mile 12 when I got a stomach cramp and had to make an unscheduled stop. Sue shouted to me and asked if I was ok.   I tried to catch her up when we got to the last half mile along the canal but crossed the line in 2.06.03. This was not a great time but considering it was windy, cold and my headache had returned I was just glad to finish. 
 
I picked up my t-shirt and medal and bottle of water and banana and then ran to the car, only to find the others were not back. Then, I notice to my horror I dropped my brand spanking new gloves.  I was gutted. Sorry guys I can’t write a report on them now. On the plus side, I ran back to the centre and found Sue who was shouting to me to go to the stage as I had won a Vet prize.   I got 2nd lady Vet this year and a voucher for John Bourne, so I may be able to replace my gloves after all.

For more information visit the website.
 
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment