About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Monday 29 April 2013

Race Report: Barlaston Up and Down 25/04/2013


Tonight was the last 5 mile race of the Stone Master Marathoners treble series which myself and Paul Nicholls had signed up for.  This one was a new one for me as it replaced Kibblestone ( that was the one with all the steps in in it). 
Paul, Chris and Liz: all smiles after crossing the finish line.
I had been told it was a really nice one but that there was a bit of a hill in it!!!!!



At 5.45 I was being picked up at my house by Paul, however, Michael turned up and there was no Paul.  Bless him he was coming with us to support us. Paul turned up soon after and off se set for Barlaston.  We got to the cricket club at 6.30pm (very smart venue) and we did a few laps of the cricket ground to warm up our muscles. Soon we were joined by Chris Brumby.  Next thing poor Michael was collared by Bryan Dale who asked him to stand on the finish line and take photographs of all the runners as they were finishing. 


At 7pm the three of us lined up, we were off.  The first ¾ of a mile is all downhill which was brilliant then we turned right and had a nice run by the river.  Paul caught up with me at the first mile just as the marshal was shouting we had gone through in 7.30 ( flaming norah that was fast for us).  Next thing I knew we were climbing up towards a place called the “trig” and it was steep. Paul was in front and I saw him walk so I ended up walking, I had been informed that we had to do this loop twice. The good thing was at the top you had to come down and I managed to keep my footing as I was flying downhill.  The second time around I did climb up the hill and I also managed to run up a bit of it. Paul was still in front of me (about 6 people between us) and I was determined to try and catch him.  At the end of the second loop we had to turn left and yep the ¾ mile downhill had to be climbed up hill.  

So with the mantra of hot chocolate, drinking chocolate and looking at the heels of the lady in front of me I climbed the hill, not stopping once. Paul was now three people in front of me and he looked strong. The Stafford girl that I had been playing cat and mouse with for the last mile past me on the last ¼ mile of the hill.  I dug in and managed to cross the finishing line, smiling at the really nice photographer in a time of 48.12.   I even beat “G” man on this race.  That was faster that Hanchurch Hilly but seriously I think they need to rename the course from Barlaston Down to Barlaston B****** which was definitely more apt.

The evening was rounded off nicely with all the runners going to the Cricket Clubhouse where the SMM had put on a spread.  We stayed to hear the results.  Two years ago I got first lady Vet 50 and I was sure that they gave prizes out to 35, 40, 50 60.  So I was surprised to get the first lady V55.  All in all a nice end to three very different but enjoyable races.  Yip I’ll be back next year to defend my title.  Thanks for driving us Paul.  

Liz celebrates another category win at the Spring Treble Series
Please go to Bryan Dale’s Race Photo website to see the photographs that Michael took.

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment