About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Friday 19 April 2013

Race Report: Milford Murder 18/04/2013

Before I start this report, it carries an x rated certificate. It does this for 2 reasons. 
  1. It describes a severely competitive nature not normally associated with our wonderful friendly club.
  2. It shows the terrible acts of a frustrated runner.
Paul hurtling past some other runners.
So the time was 5-30 on the dot as I watched Liz reverse her car in to my driveway and knock on my
door.  She quickly used the loo whilst I laced up my ever faithful Asics 3030s and made the final touches to my running kit. I decided that after last week’s experience and Liz’s history of getting lost on the way to races it would be a better option if I drove. So off we set on the way to Milford. I was quite surprised as it was quite a drive in the rush hour traffic but we arrived in perfect time.


 The one thing about this spring treble series that Liz talked me in to doing is that they run in some beautiful places, are great value and you get to know other runners. Obviously Liz knows many of them having been running for so many years. We walked up to the start to meet a few of them and I instantly recognized people from last week’s race. People that I had been close to at the finish or people that had flown past me. I started chatting to a few people from the South Cheshire Harriers  and other clubs and it then hit me. Certain people were not going to beat me this week. It would not be allowed. Ok, so most of them were female, but I worried not; today was going to be my day. I looked around and targeted people that had come past me last week when I blew up going up the hills. There was the “Michelin man” the race director from the South Cheshire Harriers, Liz’s friend and a nice young lady from South Cheshire Harriers  who beat me in the last 100 yards last week. So the goal was set and Liz was informed whom would not be beating me. I was given a quick look around the course by Liz’s friend and an explanation was given.

We got to the start and my plan was simple, no matter how big the hills I was to run it all, and boy some of the hills were big and very steep. I would do my normal tactic, start at the back and only then be overtaking people. I thought I would listen to a few tunes whilst running so plugged in Nirvana and got my running app ready. As I was doing this and completely unbeknown to me, the race had started!!! I looked up to find everyone gone and at least 10 seconds ahead of me!!

Liz looking focussed
So I set off and it’s a short downhill section followed by a very steep rocky path up. At this point I caught everyone up and started to knock people out of my way as I climbed the hill. I caught and passed Liz and had Michelin Man in my sights. After a steep climb it swept around and down a hill for a little while and again I found myself passing people with ease but still not close enough to the Michelin man or the two SCH that I had in my mind to beat. Then the race took a turn and started to climb up a hill. It was like our Mill Hill but went on for approximately 1.2 miles. At this point I was reminded of the fact that it was actually two loops on the track which basically meant that I would be doing this hill again!!!

As the hill progressed, I passed the Michelin man and the South Cheshire Harriers female but got passed by Liz’s friend. I stayed steady as I did not want to “blow up” to soon as I knew there was a long way to go.

The next stage was a long downhill followed by another little climb before going back up the killer hill. As we came down the hill the nice young lady and the Michelin man flew past me with such speed I could not believe it. It’s a rocky road down that hill and how they managed to do it without falling amazed me.  Anyhow, it meant that I needed to replan my strategy; I needed to quickly adjust my tactics. All of a sudden I was an Olympic athlete, not running for fun, but running to win. Ok Ok, so not win the race but win the battle with my chosen ones. My plan now meant that I would power up the big hill again and get myself far enough in front of those I was racing so that they could not catch me on the repeat of the downhill. I dug in and with my customary talking out loud to myself telling myself to “come on” and “dig in” I wasted those I was racing up that hill.  As I passed the Michelin man I commented to him “you beat me last week but I’m kicking your butt this week, are you racing me or what?” he took it in good spirits and told me that he raced Sunday so was struggling.  Then I passed the South Cheshire Harriers lady and before I knew it I had passed about 7 runners going up the hill.  In my sights was the South Cheshire Harriers race director but a good way out in front of me I didn’t think I would have any chance of catching him, but you never know in these hard hilly races.

Then it happened. As I came round the loop and was beginning to turn off for the last hill climb to home I spotted it. Yes, ladies, Gentlemen and fellow Striders. It was the sweeper and he was behind a lady of more mature years whom I’ve seen many times. She is an inspiration to many as in her later years, she always turns up and she always does the course.  Last time I saw her, it was when I was driving away from a 10k race about 1.5 hours after it started and she was finishing. However, tonight she would be my victim, my very first ever lapped person. I had to catch her before the fork where I would go right and she would continue left on the loop. Catch her I did, I could not look at her as a more mature runner, I could only see I was overtaking an Olympic athlete and punched the air as I caught and passed her. Oh dear as I write this I’m so embarrassed and I apologies to the higher being, and hope he forgives me when my time comes.

One of my many victims...
The sweeper shouted out to me that I was 63rd man and he pointed to the South Cheshire Harriers race director in front and said he is 62nd now go catch him!!! He also shouted that he does the Sandbach 10k every year and loves it which was nice to hear. So I took off after the South Cheshire Harriers guy with only about 1 mile to go I knew I would have to motor to catch him. The last bit is a real steep hill and I could see him in front but I just couldn’t get close enough to him. Then, as we reached the top of the hill there was a long downhill in to a dip before a steady climb over the line. At this downhill point I just went for it, I caught and passed him before climbing to the finishing line whereby I thought I had just won the London Marathon or beaten our Mo in the 5k at the Olympic stadium. It mattered not that I had actually beaten some more mature runners or some larger guys I had won my own personal battle.

I waited for a few of my new friends to come over the line and we had a chat about how tough the course was and how it was in fact 5.5 miles and not 5 miles. Soon after Liz came over the line finishing strongly and looking pleased to get across the line. I was then reprimanded for using headphones whilst racing, I think that my competitors either did not like Nirvana or any excuse to mock my far superior performance. Point taken though and I agreed to not run with my music too loud next week in the final race of the series.

This is a great series and it has got me really looking forward to next week and the final challenge. It’s well worth doing and at only £20 for 3 races including a techie t shirt its great value and local to home.

However, be warned, It may well bring out the racing devil in you !!!!!


For more details visit the website.

Happy trotting,
Paul N

No comments:

Post a Comment