About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Tuesday 16 April 2013

Race Report: Newcastle Road Race 10k 14/04/2013

On Sunday 14 April myself and Dennis ran the Newcastle 10K, which was formerly the Newcastle 7.  As we set off on the M6 the wind had picked up and just prayed that there would be no rain.


Denis had never run this course before so I warned him that although the race had been changed to a shorter distance by a mile, the killer hill was still in it.  We got to the race headquarters at 9.20 and as it was sunny although extremely windy it was shorts and a vest for me.

We did a few laps of the running track to warm up and at 10.00am the gun went off. Denis had a tactic – to finish the race and enjoy it.  Me – was to try and do a good time and beat Sue who is in my NSSRA “W” group. We have been having a bit of cat and mouse at some races, Sue is stronger on the hills and flies past me on trail races.  As usual I got swept up with the crowd and was soon approaching the “hill” I followed Jason’s advice and looked at everyone’s heels instead of the hill. I knew I would have to move a bit faster as the wind was in front of me and it felt as if you were wading through treacle.  God if only the wind had gotten behind us, but alas that was not happening.  

I saw Denis in front of me and kept my eyes on him, trying my best to catch him  (he was certainly moving faster).  After a mile and half I was at the top.  Bryan Dale is always there so everyone gives him a big smile for the camera (only because they have gotten up the flaming hill without stopping).  You would think that there would be a nice big downhill but no, there was another small hill to get up and then it flattened out.  A marshal did shout out at the 6K mark that it was all downhill from that point, but no..it is undulating!!!   The course was well marshalled and there was one water stop.



As the course had changed, I was intrigued to see where the course would end when at the 8K mark we were all directed onto a path much like the salt line.  Now this was nice, it was flat and for 2Ks you could see everyone in front of you. I began to overtake some people and even caught up with the St John Ambulance lad on his bike.  Soon, I saw the finishing line and with an almighty burst of energy got past the bloke in front to come across the finishing line in 58.20.  Not a great 10K time, but hey ho the wind was fierce. I looked around for Denis and could not see him. 


Everyone was informed to make their way back to the clubhouse, this was about half a mile away and was a nice cool down after such a tough race.  Eventually, I found Denis only to find that he had not come in before me and that I had been chasing someone else  for 6 miles, as he finished in 62 minutes.  We both would do the race again.  It was reasonably priced and you got a mug at the end of it.

For more information visit the website.

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment