About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Monday 22 April 2013

Race Report: Sandstone Trail 10k 14/04/2013


When quietly beading (making jewellery with Cheryl Coppenhall) and minding my own business, Hannah Barton (another beader) piped up that her sister had let her down for the weekend and did I fancy joining her in a 10k run around the Peckforton hills in aid of the NSPCC. Having already planned my long run for the day before, I said that only if we go steadily as I didn’t want to turn an ankle so close to my forthcoming marathon and that it wasn’t raining.


Peering out of the window at 7.40, I was dismayed to see that it wasn’t raining but sun-shining so I dutifully dragged myself from my lovely snug bed. The dog just looked as if to say, “It’s Sunday. What the hell are you doing?!”
Unfortunately, dogs were not allowed on the run which was a shame because it was great squirrel country, just up Tolli’s street! So she was taken swiftly over to Grandmas and Granddads to be spoilt for the morning.

On the journey to Beeston market car park, it was evident that the wind was going to play a factor in this race as some fairly substantial trees had been felled by it overnight.
Although windy, it was warm so was the first race I had run with just a running top which made a great change to being fully covered against the wintery elements that have had us all skidding  everywhere.

This was Hannah’s first race ever so she was a little nervous but she soon got into her stride and we followed the pack up the first incline towards Beeston Castle. On route we were sand blasted by the wind whipping the dust off the fields and although we weren’t thirsty, we were still spitting dust.

Mile one took us past the Castle entrance and through the woods down towards our next challenge of staggering up the other side and onto the Peckforton hill. I urged Hannah to keep plodding up and we managed to put a few people behind us who had started to walk, but nearing the ridges’ top, we ended up walking due to too many walkers and narrow path. Not that I am complaining!

That saw us to mile 3 and the hardest part of the course over. It was all downhill (though the cobbly bit was a little treacherous) and across lovely open fields to the finish. There was a particularly muddy patch (though not half as deep as Jason’s experience) where my shoes nearly departed my feet and I think the farmer had taken great pleasure in putting some slurry in with the mix! Phew! The views were spectacular as mentioned on the website and as we popped out of the last wooded slope, the finish line was ahead just over one more ankle turning field. But glad to say we made it round in one piece and had a thoroughly great run with a respectable time for Hannah as a first timer.

I’m so glad I did it. It’s a lovely course, friendly marshals and you get a free NSPCC running vest at the start so most people wore them. I’ll certainly do it again next year and see if little dogs can go too.

Tolli was really excited to see me again, but was more interested in the cow poo splattered all over my legs! Talk about faithful friends.

For more information visit the website.
Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment