About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Monday 29 April 2013

Race report: Shakespeare Marathon 28/04/2013


Well, I’m sure there will be more than one race report for this race but thought I would enter mine and my thoughts.



I can’t quite remember why I entered this Marathon, I think it was to do with using it as a training event for the Sandstone trail race in 2 weeks time. But whatever my reasons were, I’m glad I chose to enter.



The weekend started with me once again utilizing the camper and heading to Stratford upon Avon race course campsite with Nikki, my son Harley and the Dog. I was aware that there were a few other striders doing this event, Michael, Matt, Cheryl and Gordon with Terry Coppenhall doing the half.

I managed to persuade Matt to pick me up at the campsite and take me to the start, only about 1.5 miles away, but the thought of walking there and back after the 26.2 was something I was not too enthralled about.

So the time came when Mik and Matt attended to pick me up, they were both so excited they got lost and needed minor guidance to the race course, but arrive they did. We drove to the start looking for somewhere to park. Looking around the side streets and asking a few of the volunteers proved a little difficult. I think some of the volunteers had been teleported down for the event and their local knowledge was in fact worse than my knowledge of Mr Shakespeare himself. Apparently I was later informed by another runner that he was married to Anne Hathaway? Well how’s about that, surely she should have been simply Mrs Shakespeare?

Paul, Mat and Michael after the race.

Anyhow, we eventually found somewhere to park and then began the pre marathon ritual of preparation. The weather was cold and windy and I had nothing but a vest, Mat had numerous choices and it was great watching him squirm about what to wear. If he had been as ill prepared as me, he would not of had that torturous decision to make. So I gave a brief interview on the benefits of Vaseline to the camera and Mik lambasted me for having the posh version whilst he had the Aldi version.  Matt, who was still trying to choose what to wear whilst tucking in to an egg butty and a mars bar agreed that he would use some lubricant to prevent nipple rub and “chub rub”.  Eventually with Matt having made more decisions about what to wear than a woman out on a first date we headed for the start.

When at the start we asked about a bag drop, this was located at the end of the race. We therefore had a bit of a jog to the end of the race to give in our 1 between 3 expensive carrier bag. After some discussion about who would be first back to collect it and me optimistically giving my number, we decided on using Mats race number instead. It suddenly dawned on me that we were now parked further away from the finish than what my camper was !!!
Captain Chub Rub ponders his pre-race lubrication strategy
 We arrived at the start with a few minutes to spare and got ready to go. The field was approximately 4000 with about 2/3rds doing the half marathon. We set off and the route consisted of a lap of the town before heading out in to the more scenic parts of Stratford. By about mile 1 Mik and Mat had disappeared and I began to find my rhythm of 10 min miling. However it had taken about 4 -5 mins to get to the start so I found myself with completely useless pace setting app turned on. I soon felt comfortable and started to really enjoy myself chatting to those around me. Before long I passed a familiar face, this was Kate, whom Jason, Dougal and I had allowed us to run the Three shires with. She said hello and we ran together for a little bit but she was struggling to keep with my far superior pace so held back. The route took in some terrific buildings some really wealthy houses and some great views. Mainly flat, there were some hills within the race but nothing too challenging.  The support was sporadic but very nice with some jolly people about the place. The route eventually came to a long sort of rail track that led back to the town.  At the end of this rail track, the half marathoner’s went to the right, and the full went to the left. At this point Nikki was standing there to give me a cheer and off I went on lap 2. All of a sudden I was very lonely, all those that I had been running with were off to finish their half marathon and only a few of us seemed to carry on for the full.

On lap 2 up till about mile 16-17 I had been really consistent with my time’s coming in at 10 min miles across the board. However, I then noticed a real deterioration in my mile times. At mile 23 I had to just walk a little, not much but a little, and then at mile 25 I heard someone say, “alright mate” I looked around and it was Kate, this is the girl that Mik tells me runs very similar marathon times to me, In fact her PB is a min faster than mine. There she was, she had caught me up and was getting away.  I would not allow this, so began chasing her down, I do not know where that energy came from but I just kept chasing after her. Eventually I caught and overtook her at the finish and then realised she had actually started before me anyhow.

Last minute carb loading.
At the finish line, Mat and Mik were waiting with a shout. I had come home at 4-44 clock time and only 4-40 chip time. This meant a new PB by 8 mins, was I happy? No, I was gutted, I really felt I could have made a sub 4-30. If only I hadn’t have walked for a mile, if only I hadn’t have slowed for a while, stopped for a drink, blah blah blah.  I would have made it grrrr! But, this was my 8th marathon. Wow, how did that happen? Taking out the trail ones, this means I have gone from 5-15 down to 4-48 down to 4-40 in the 3 comparable marathons. So surely I can get to 4-30? Especially as my first 12 miles were done in just 2 hours.

Anyhow, to be honest, it was a great day, a really enjoyable race with some amazing times from some of the Striders running.  I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and would recommend the race to others. 

For more information on the race, check out their website.

Paul N.