About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Saturday 25 May 2013

Race Report: Killer Mile 09/05/2013

On the 10th May I decided that a short run wouldn't do me any harm, what was I thinking!!!!!!!!!


I travelled straight from work and arrived in time to book myself in,  Queen Victoria (aka
Mik Escolme) and Wee Willy Winky (aka Paul Nicholls) were already there and waiting near the start with Martin, Paul and even George (Paul's son) came to take up the challenge.



The race got underway and off we went, there was no chance of me keeping up with everyone else, I just had to take it at my own pace and just try to keep going, I hate hills at the best of times but this was really tough.
 
It started with a slight incline which was ok, but soon changed to a small hill, this was only the start as around the corner was the big one, wow....can't tell you the words that came out of my mouth when I looked up, but the runner in front of me wasn't very impressed, woops...


The support from the spectators was great and it was nice to see Jason part way up that big hill, even though he had his camera out.


It was nice feeling getting to the finishing and finding some of the Striders waiting to see me over the finishing line.
 
I wasn't last out of the club runners race and my time wasn't too bad overall, but there is room for improvement so I have a chance for a PB next year.

We all strolled back down the hill, collected our race certificates, then Martin disappeared, he'd gone back down the hill to give it another go, Mad comes to mind, once was enough for me. 




As we were walking down Mik and Paul were both pulled to one side by a guy from Stoke radio. They gave a great interview, they were both asking to comment on the race and why they chose to run in fancy dress, they had me in stitches, Mik apparently likes running as a dead Monach, doesn't sound very funny now but it was a the time. Mik gave a billiant plug for Sandbach Striders towards the end, pure genius.


The evening was finished of with a small gathering of Striders into Sandbach for a few drinks and a well earned curry.


All in all it was great night, would I do the Killer mile again? Of course.

For more information, visit the MCRA website

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment