About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Thursday 23 May 2013

Race Report: Worden Park 18/05/2013

Today myself and Denis ran a really nice little 10K in Worden Park which is in Leyland,  just near Preston.  The morning started off well a bit dull but 11 degrees. 

 
Liz and Denis


When we got there it seemed a little quiet but that was because we got there at 9.15am for the 10am start only to find it was an 11am start! So.. we watched the kids race.   Denis had told me that the race was flat (well it must be he said) because of the Leyland plains.  I spoke to a marshal who showed us both the route and explained that there was bit of a hill in it. Soon it was time to line up. The course was two laps and the start was little congested.

 
Liz, Denis and friend.
We went out the park turned left and continued on a straight road until we came to a cottage on the left hand side and at this point it was ‘the hill’.  It went on for about 200 yards which was nothing compared to some hills I have recently run up.  Denis had said he was going to stay with me as it was our intention to try for under 54. He was in front of me for 4 miles and when I caught up with him it was 35 minutes. He told me he was tired but I shouted at him to keep up with me and soon I was passing a few people. 

I had a bit of cat and mouse with a lad in a  bright green neon t-shirt for the next two miles. As you turned back into the park there was only 0.2 miles to run. I managed to pass a few people on the straight and crossed the line in 55.45.  It was a lovely sunny day and both Denis and I would recommend this race to anyone as you could get a good pb on it. The cost was £9.20 and you got a medal and a chocolate bar for that.  After the race both Denis and I visit the kiosk in the park which did some lovely Italian ice creams, but no we had soup.

For more information visit the website

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment