About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Tuesday 11 June 2013

Race Report: Bosley Fell Race 08/06/2013



Laying demons to rest!

After last year’s minor disaster of falling head long into a bog and tearing ligaments, I definitely had unfinished business with this run. 


So I took emergency back- up with me this year in the shape of a very good friend who insisted that she would be fine with a cuppa, a piece of WI cake and a sit in the sunshine, whilst I and a lovely large field of fellow runners took to the hills.


It was a lovely surprise to see Jill and Chris there too and other familiar faces who had run at Wincle. So with the sun blazing… yes, still blazing, we set off across and up over the first hill and around Bosley reservoir. No mishaps yet. The route took us gradually up hill, across and through fields with long grass and it wasn’t long before the first bit of walking was established and as I topped Little Minn, a long snake of runners/walkers stretched out in-front and behind me (yep, I wasn’t last).

The sun was certainly making its presence known and was merciless (OK not quite the Sahara, but you could have fooled me) and with just a short downward section, the trail then took us up the biggest climb of the course. Hands, knees and feet all came into contact at some point of this part and cruelly a photographer sat happily at the top waiting to capture every torturous step. Still no mishaps.

Thankfully, the rest of the course took a general downward direction and I was fast approaching where I came a cropper last year. The “Bog of doom” loomed and instead of taking the downside of the track, I went up hill and successfully passed without incident! All that was left was a short downhill, into bog (not sure how I managed it, but up to my knees), uphill and 90’ left (sounds like rally navigating) and onto safer grounds.  Now all I had to do was not let the heat get to me and plant my feet firmly as I negotiated the uneven fields that led back to the fete.

And yes, success folks. No incidents! My demons have been laid to rest… for now. I was a very happy runner to come home in one piece as was my friend. When offered a cold cup of water from a smiley lady as I crossed the finish line, all I wanted to do was dive into the huge trug of water she was using.

As with the Wincle run, the people, atmosphere, tea, cake and a sit in the sunshine after a successful race was well worth the effort of the 4 miles or so. It was great to have larger field of runners too. Definitely be going again next year. The Wincle and Bosley are a bit like a twin-set… they go together nicely!

For more information visit the website.

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment