About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Tuesday 4 June 2013

Race Report: Shutlingsoe Fell Race 27/05/2013



Short and brutal would be one way of describing this event but that alone would be a little unfair. 

I don’t know the history of the event but the setting and context give this the feeling if not the actual status of a real classic. Fell running was born out of village fetes and country fairs in the north of England with local folk competing for a prize and great esteem by racing up and down the nearest high fell. This is the simple formula for the Shutlingsloe Fell Race.

Taking place as part of the Wildboarclough Rose Queen Fete the location is superb not just because of the large country house setting in the grounds of Crag Hall but for the magnificent view across the valley to Shutlingsloe and the race route.  Registration was quick and simple and donning number 91 I stood surveying the challenge ahead. The route was clear to see and not unfamiliar, I’ve climbed the hill from this side several times in both races and training runs. However there was a blank on the map as the obvious route down the field from Crag Hall disappeared into the valley bottom at a point where I knew there was no direct way up the other side.  Chatting with a runner from the Mow Cop club he explained that the route became steep, muddy and confined down to the bottom and then climbed on a permissive route directly through the woods opposite before emerging onto the farm track leading to the open fell.

Five minutes to go and the field assembled at the start line with many other local clubs represented including Congleton, Macclesfield, South Cheshire and Mow Cop. It didn’t take much to work out that a fast start to avoid any bottlenecks below would be the best tactic. A quick briefing and then the off, it was soon apparent that the entire field had the same tactic in mind and I had to work hard to hold my place as we hurtled towards a mud filled gateway. In no time we reached the bottom and the unexpected (but obvious when you think about) short and rocky bottomed river crossing, I emerged from the water and the long hard slog uphill began. 

Steep un-runnable ground led up through the forest to the farm track where it was possible to break into a slow jog. Looking up I could see the leader in yellow and red a long way ahead and well clear of the field. Soon I was on the open fell and back to walking as a yellow streak hurtled past and I gasped out “well done” as the leader headed for home and certain victory. I plodded on up the steep flanks of Shutlingsloe and emerged on the summit ridge just as the marshal announced that the leader had crossed the finish line. As I rounded the trig point I looked back across the valley and there 1 mile away I could see the 2nd and 3rd place runners approaching the finish.

As those of you who have experienced a fell race on steep ground will know there is no relief in going down, just a different type of effort and exertion. Still the change was almost as good as a rest and I soon waded the river and was climbing the other side of the valley back to Crag Hall. I reached the finish with great relief and after a shake of hands with the silver haired gent who had successfully defended his lead over me on the final climb I collapsed on the grass. It had been a very tough run but it was good to do a “sprint” event after my recent longer excursions and I lay eyes closed happily reliving the run. Just when I might have dosed off I was startled by the prod of a damp muzzle and lick of wet tongue and opened my eyes to see Andre standing over me. Jill and Andre had cheered me in on the final climb and now came over full of congratulations. We headed back to the main fete area for tea and ice cream and enjoyed the rest of the fete before heading home just as the rains began to fall.

It’s a great little race and it was an enjoyable afternoon out which I can highly recommend.

Chris Brumby

No comments:

Post a Comment