About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Friday 7 June 2013

Race Report: Westbridge 5m 02/06/2013

Today I ran the Westbridge 5 mile (2 June) which is in Stone. 


The time changed this year to 2pm due to a fishing competition. Sue Davies of South Cheshire Harriers kindly picked me up at lunch time and then we picked up Janet at Weston.  We arrived in plenty of time to do a pre-race warm up. Once on the starting line both Janet and I agreed that we still had Wincle in our legs so to get round would be an achievement!  Sue said I’d overtake her but I knew there was no way my legs would be racing today. I needed a massage.
 
As soon as the gun went off it was round a lap of a field and onto the canal path for two miles, you then turned to the right and out into the country lanes.  I saw a few of the “W” woman in front of me but alas my legs would not let me catch the leaders today.  My friend NSRRA “F” man was in front of me then he was behind me, so for two miles we played cat and mouse.  At the third mile you turned onto the D road and then back onto a small country lane and then onto the canal to do the last two miles.  At this point “F” man was 5 in front of me.  

My electrolyte drink kicked in and I was passing a few runners on this path.  Just as I approached the finish line I gave it some welly and just pipped “F” man.  This race is part of the NSRRA league and is always well attended. Some say it is a bit undulating but to me it was flat.  It is a course to get a PB on (preferably not after running the Wincle Trout tho).  You don’t get a medal but you do get a goodie bag with fruit and chocolate and a bottle of beer. I would recommend this race.
 
For more information visit the website.
 
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment