About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Tuesday 4 June 2013

Race Report: Wincle Trout 01/06/2013

On Saturday I woke up to two things. The first day of June and sunshine, just right for the Wincle Trout 9K run.  



As myself Chrissie, and Katie had promised that we would do some pre and post  race massages for Allan Weeks, Race Organiser I set off at 12 noon. I followed the AA route planner instructions and got there in 32 minutes.  On arrival Allan showed me the marquee that he had set up for us just opposite the finish line. We offloaded all our couches and gear but suddenly a gust of wind threatened to take the marquee off into the blue skies. So grabbing hold of the nearest poles we hung on until one of the marshals managed to get some more tent pegs and a hammer.   With that problem sorted we soon had our first customers.   At 2.35 I waved ta ta to the girls and went to join Denis and Ben on the start line.
 
My game plan was just to enjoy this run as having done it in previous years I knew it would be tough, also the next day I would be running Westbridge 5 .  Cheryl and Gordon were also on the start line.  The 3, 2, 1 shout went and we were off, however the sheep to our right got spooked when they heard the runners and joined in running as fast as they could and Baaaing at the top of their voices, that got a few laughs.  After a few hundred yards we came to the “bog”, having done a pre-race warm up several runners told us that it was muddy there and to make sure our laces were tied tight. True to form it was muddy.  Suddenly, I had a flash back to when I was 6 years old. My 3 brothers, sister and me all used to don our wellies and go and play for hours on end in the muddy marshy field, opposite our house, I had my new wellies on and got well and truly stuck, I only got rescued as some poor passerby heard me bawling at the top of my voice.  My dad always said to us,”one of these days you’re going to get stuck and the mud will swallow you up”, yeah right!!!!  Well today his words were ringing in my ears as I saw people in front on my literally sinking into the mud and losing shoes. So… I thought to myself  ‘Liz try and think of your body as a feather and just glide across the mud’, that did not work, I sunk into it, I nearly lost my footing completely, after several expletives I managed to get through it.  A lad passed me by in his bare feet, I could not figure out if he chose to run like that or left both his shoes and socks in the muddy bog.
 
Back to the race, it was undulating and we ran through fields, crossed styles and then came to the real fun part of it all, a nice little stream, to some only ankle deep, but to a shorty like me, the water came nearly to my knees. I was glad I wore my knee high compression socks today.   Bryan Dale was there with his thigh length waders on clicking away.  Once out of that we slip-slided for a few more yards until we got to an open field and yet more mud to cross.  At the half way mark we took a turn onto a downward field just as the wind got us crossways. Pity it was not behind us. Denis was just in front so we ran together for a bit. I came to a point in the race when I could not see anyone in front of me and was wondering if I was running in the right direction, however, as soon as we reached the climb to ‘Luds Church’ I saw a few people walking this section, it was steep.  After this climb it was over a few more styles, crossing some little bridges and then downhill. I remembered this section from the last time I did this race and decided to let the hill take me, it flaming did, I shot right past the direction sign and ended up on the path.  I could see a girl in front of me and decided I’d try and catch her. I could hear the loudspeaker at the fete and thought I must be near the end now. A marshal shouted “not long now” but I never believe that, as it usually means another mile left. Through another downhill section and across a road and I could see the entrance to the fete. I went over the finish line in 1.15 ( I think). Will just have to wait for the results which will be tricky as apparently I got the number 303 when it should have been 330. I had a queue at the massage tent and left the field at 5.30pm.
 


This race is a really fun one to do. It’s not for the faint hearted, don’t wear new trainers. You get a fresh trout at the end of the race which is fine if you like to remove the head and tail, me I gave mine away. Ooh don’t like things that are staring at me…... Yes this is definitely a race worth putting into your diary.  As massage therapists we got free tea and cake and managed to hand over some pennies for the Wincle Church Fundraising.
 
For more information visit the website.
 
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment