About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Friday 12 July 2013

Race Report: Lancaster Marathon 30/06/2013

So it arrived... 



The day that I had been waiting for. Or should I say the weekend I had been waiting for. 




The Lancaster marathon was upon me. Marathon number 9 in this crazy world of Marathon running. However this was to be special, it was Lancaster, and some of you Striders might have noticed that our chairman has a slightly Lancastrian tone to his speeches. Yes, our chairman is a Lancastrian from the city of Lancaster and this could only mean one thing. My very own personal tour guide to the delights of the old town of Lancaster. Not quite personal as we had further company in the name of Mat “I get lost” Simister.

As this was to be a bit special, Mik had offered to head up a tour that included a night out in Lancaster itself, this was to prove very wise as the “Lancaster Marathon” strangely goes as close to the city as the club winter route goes to Crewe. Or it could prove to be very stupid as it would obviously mean food drink and accommodation would be required.
So the weekend started with a parkrun, a few DIY jobs and then an early night, very early. I arrived at Mik’s just as he was springing in to life and texted Mat. Mat was making his own way and was already at junction 21 of the M6.

Mat and Paul get ready for story time.

I managed to rob Mik’s carb gel locker and bag myself a couple of GU gels and we were on the way. We arrived at the Lancaster Brewery which was to be the start of the race to find no Mat. It wasn’t long before he rang me to say he was lost, a theme that would become all too familiar for the weekend.

The race itself consisted of a small field, very small; in fact only 120 were registered. Why would so few register? Well maybe it was the comments from last year’s race. Reading Runner’s World the comments consisted of “hard as nails” to “hilly as heck”. It seemed many thought it too hard to do again.

The race got under way with no big pomp, just a simple 3-2-1 Go! and away we went a short ¼ of a mile followed by a long climb. This was to be the pattern of the whole race, climb climb and climb again. Mat and Mik took off whilst I opted for the more cautious approach conserving my energy for later, much later.

Paul, Mat and Mik enjoy a post-race pint at Lancaster Brewery.
The first 9 miles seem to pass pretty quickly, there were plenty of hills to keep you interested including some great scenery and I was making pretty good time.  Just past the mile 9 markers there was a left turn and out of the blue I was facing what looked like a brick wall. Well in fact just a mammoth hill which was very steep. From this point the hills just kept coming and coming. One after another, until about mile 18, whereby I just could not believe what I was faced with. Not a hill, but I’m sure, this was actually a mountain and at this point I could see people what seemed like miles away right at the top of it. A young lad dressed in a football top and wearing Nike deck shoes stormed past me, he then collapsed there and this resulting in the medics being called. 
Paul and Mat on a post-race stroll around historic Lancaster Castle.

I carried on up the hill knowing he was in good hands and kept climbing and climbing until eventually I reached the top. At this point I sighed as it now meant a very steep descent. This theme of mountain climbing continued up until mile 25.5 every time you looked in front, there seemed to be an uphill section to climb. Also to contend with was what I thought were busy roads with plenty of traffic including Valentino Rossi wannabes on two wheels. It was quite disconcerting running amongst the traffic but it had to be done to finish the race.  
As I approached mile 25 and a bit I could see right down the hill to the finish line. The last mile seemed to go on for ages but at least it was downhill. I crossed the line in 4-50 something which I was quite pleased with being it was such a toughie.

Zorro aiming for the grass once more despite it being a road marathon.
But now the fun could begin!! It started with a pint in the Brewery whereby we could show off our fantastic medals and talk about the day’s events. Mat took great pleasure in telling us his time which was around the 4 hour mark. Not fast for Mat but on this course very good. However he then went on to say that he could have ran faster if he hadn’t of got lost!! Yes he had strayed off course and ran over a few stiles before realizing that he was in fact going the wrong way. We quickly reminded him that it was a road marathon and that this normally means they are ran on roads. He agreed and suggested that running a road marathon whereby you were climbing stiles and running across fields should of given it away. 

I then treated the lads to my awesome chatting up of two lovely ladies whom thought we were the best thing since sliced bread. By the end, these two ladies were awe struck and eating out the palm of my hand. I could tell the lads were impressed with my “friendliness” and my skills with the “fairer” sex. But alas, it was not long before the Old persons home called the ladies back to base for their tea.

A good place for a post-race drink.
We then headed off to our 5* room that Mik had booked us called the “Travel Lodge” gorgeous place in the heart of Lancaster, we followed the evening with a nice curry, more talk about the race and how was it that my t-shirt was different to “theirs”.

Matt took off at 4 am in the morning to make work, Mik treated me to a fantastic Veggie breakfast and I experienced Tofu for the first time in my life. 

A super weekend, an “OK” race that could have been better supported.

For more information, visit the website

Paul N



No comments:

Post a Comment