About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Sunday 11 August 2013

Race Report: Pie and Pies 5m 07/08/2013

Now this is always a popular local race, held conveniently on a Wednesday evening, fitting in perfectly with a mid week run with fellow club mates.


As I have only been running for the last 2 weeks, coming back from an injury, I had been

searching for an excuse not to "do a race" quite so soon, as after all I've only just made it to 5 miles without stopping in the last week. Alas, after a little chat with myself, I decided running Pie and Peas could only be a good thing to assist my recovery.

I would swear I ran Pie and Peas, perhaps not last year, but surely the year before?? I know I've done it 2 or 3 times... 2008 is the last time I can see myself on the results, happily trotting round in 37:09 and in 2007 I appear to have trotted out with my then to be husband and he let me beat him by 2 seconds - how times have changed!!!


There was a fantastic show of Striders, resplendent in new kit. We remembered our friend John Lawton at the start, how he used to disappear off and do a warm up that we were all convinced was actually longer than the race itself!
 

I was slightly concerned by the tape around the field, some one mentioned a 'lap at the end', no, not this race, I've done it enough to know there's never been a lap at the end!
Gun goes off and I am happy to settle in towards the back, no pressure, nothing silly! I settle in behind Catherine, Clare and her husband Gary, 'try out' Strider (who didn't appear to break sweat the whole race).
 



We seemed to turn left off the main road, this isn't correct, we usually go right... Thank goodness I'm not leading eh?
 

The run was basically the old one sort of in reverse, without the steep accent off the river and the narrow paths along the river bank, no kissing gates either!
 

It was great to see family, non-running Striders, dogs and friends on route cheering us all on - much appreciated.

I struggled back up the last hill from the river and under the railway, however I'm please to say I didn't walk and kept moving (& breathing)- just about. Catherine was waiting for me on the track back to the village, THANK YOU and she then paced me back to the field. Yes we were required to do a full lap, most unpleasant, but it was all done.
 

It's a privilege to be cheered home by fellow Striders and although Karen didn't really appreciate being sung happy birthday to, it was 'very Striders'. Well done to all those who ran, supported, shared lifts and took photos etc...


The pies weren't bad afterwards either!

Great race for novices, seasoned racers, plodders and injury recovery person! Well marshalled and supported, no traffic and great feed afterwards. Only down side that it is very much a club race, so quite competitive at the front end, so I find standing with a lot of racing snakes can be intimidating, but that's just me!


And yes I 'allowed' my husband to beat me this year, slightly more than 2 seconds (try 3+ minutes), well done to him.
 

See you all next year.

For more information, visit the Vale Royal AV website.

Loads of photos of the event along with some video clips can be seen on Bryan Dale's website.

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment