About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Monday 16 September 2013

Race Report: English Half Marathon 08/09/2013

After threats of heavy rain for the days leading up to the race, Sunday dawned bright and clear with beautiful blue skies and warm temperatures for what was to be an excellent day for a half-marathon.

The number collection was quick and efficient, with no queuing and by 8:30 i was ready to run with my
number pinned on and my timing chip secured to my shoe. The RAF Falcons Parachute Display Team arrived at 9:55, a little later than planned, causing the race to be delayed by a few minutes, but made for an excellent diversion as they swooped down trailing smoke and landing, only to strip off their parachutes and jumpsuits to join the rest of us in running the race.

The race start itself was a bit of a bottleneck, but once over the start line we were free to run at our own pace and I set off strongly on the roads leading away from Victoria Park and the city centre. The route overall rises in the first half of the race, and we were soon running besides canals and out into the countryside south of Warrington, which made it a nice race for the scenery as well as having a better last 6 miles as we turned back toward the city and started to descend.


At around 7 miles I met a friend of Sandbach Striders and Deja Vu runner Trisha Bunn and a mile later passed her husband Richie, but by now I was firmly set on getting to the finish in Victoria Park. As the country lanes gave way to main roads (traffic-free), we headed back into the city and the mile markers hit double figures I increased my pace to try to cross the finish line well under my personal best time of 1 hour, 46 minutes and 36 seconds. As I passed the 12 mile marker we ran onto paths again as we ran into the start of Victoria Park and I realised that I was close to getting under 1 hour 40 minutes. I pushed on, passing runners every few strides and finally turned out of the trees onto the path running down toward the start/finish area. The lead-in was lined with spectators cheering the runners on, and I pushed a little faster as I saw the finish approaching, sprinting past one last runner to cross the line.

Having forgotten my Garmin I waited for my official confirmation to arrive by text, and was delighted to find that my chip time was 1:40:40, which was 5:56 faster than my previous PB, and I had finished 302'nd out of a field of 1537 finishers, so a good day at the office!

Overall, a good event, pleasant course, the lovely weather helped and the open roads and the fact that it wasn't too packed with runners made for an enjoyable half-marathon.

My thanks go to Matt Simister for the place, and I may very well go back next year to try for a sub 1:40...


For more information, visit the website.

Steve Treweeks

No comments:

Post a Comment