About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Wednesday 25 September 2013

Race Report: Great North Run

I had entered the Great North Run Half Marathon early in the year not that I had any real desire to run it but I thought I would see what the fuss was about and why 50,000 people run it each year, and to be honest was tired of non-runners asking me if I had ran it. 



From a personal point of view I can’t think of anything worse than a commercial large scale road race as it’s not my scene but hey ho before I knew it September was upon me and it was race day.


I drove up from Weaverham to Newcastle Sunday morning at 05:00am with a couple of friends who were new to running which took 3 hours of driving which was a good drive due to no traffic and found a great car park close to the start. For some reason I was positioned right at the back in pink wave which would have left me with a lot of work to do to get a good time if I had wanted to but as it happens one of my friends had not done any training for this race due to injury so we decided to stick together as I wasn’t bothered about a time anyway. 

The rain got heavier and heavier as the race went on and everyone was soaked, and the amount of discarded water bottles on the floor made it lethal at times at the water stations and a few times ambulances drove through us sirens blasting to get to someone in need.
Eventually 3 hours later we reached the finish where I was very grateful I could just reach into my bag and put my dry clothes on and waterproof coats as the weather was horrendous and there were a lot of people panicking because they were too cold and wet. It took us about 1 hour to catch up with our faster friend as no one could get a mobile signal then we had to get back to the start.
Option one wait in the queue for the bus in pouring rain for over an hour mmmm no, 
Option two walk to the tram station 20 mins away to get the metro back to the start and car which we did got to the station and the queue was at least half a mile long…we would have been all night….
Option three hail a cab and get to my car ASAP think you can guess which one I picked.
Well done to everyone who ran I was proud to have ran with you all …. Keep on running…
Would I run this race again? Probably not. Not a race for runners but probably depends where you start.
Facilities was very poor and to be honest so was the scenery.
Too many people for one race, but maybe that’s its charm. Atmosphere and determination of the people involved either running or helping with this event. Fantastic well done. 
For more information, visit the website.
Mat Simister

1 comment:

  1. Appreciate “each to their own” but I think the picture painted is exceptionally biased. I have done this race 4 times and perhaps my 2hrs running missed most of the rain but I did not experience any heavy rain despite forecasts. The water bottle issue is not good but to my knowledge the ambulances were to deal with issues not associated to the bottles. I find the run an exceptional draw with the good people of the area supporting you all the way. The organisation, I think, is superb and a race I would recommend to anyone to try...at least once. Also think the route is great and the Red Arrows bring something to it. Sorry you did not enjoy it but having given myself 15 weeks this year to train after 18 months off through injury, I was well pleased and already looking towards next years race..quite probably joining the Striders to train up for it.
    Well done for running in it anyway and sorry you did not enjoy it.
    Ian

    ReplyDelete