About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Thursday 26 September 2013

Race Report: UTMB CCC 30/08/2013


Introduction
Waiting for the start in Courmayeur

The Ultra Trial Du Mont Blanc (UTMB) CCC is a 101Km ultra trail marathon held annually in
the Alps and has 6100m of ascent and descent. It is one of 4 races which make up the suite of UTMB races which are held during 1 week in August and are based in the French alpine town of Chamonix. The main event the UTMB is 168km long and completes a full circuit of the Mont Blanc massif following a similar route to the Tour du Mont Blanc footpath. The shorter CCC follows the last 101km of the UTMB route starting in Courmayeur, Italy passing though Champex, Switzerland and finishing in Chamonix hence the CCC name.

Courmayeur
I’d come across the UTMB website and the CCC race immediately caught my imagination, not least because my only previous visit to the Alps had been a 2 week climbing trip based in Courmayeur. I wasn’t sure I could do such an event and if I could I probably needed to complete the 2013 Lakeland 10 Peaks race first which I had already decided would be my main goal for 2013. Besides you can’t just enter the CCC you need qualifying points from other trail ultras and even then there’s a lottery for places. I might have left it at that but I decided to look at the races which earned UTMB points and I discovered that thanks to completing the Tour de Helvellyn and the Round Rotherham 50 I already had the necessary 2 qualifying points. Should I enter? Why not? I probably won’t get a place anyway. So I entered and several weeks later an email arrived informing me I had been successful …..oh sh*t, I thought.
Mont Blanc (Monte Bianco) from the route leaving Courmayeur 

What follows is a brief account of a few of my experiences:

High Points

Dawn was not far off and I was high on the final climb of the CCC, I paused to look down at the zigzag of head torch lights climbing the trail below me, below them an occasional car headlight swept the Col Des Montets where a line of head torches crossed the road to feed the snake climbing the mountain. This was the last of 5 main climbs that make up a large part of the CCC course, for the first time in around 20 hours I was climbing on my own and as with the other 4 climbs I’d settled into a steady rhythm which I felt I could sustain for as long as necessary but in the dark it was always impossible to tell how long that would be. Earlier in the race I’d looked up mountainsides at lights spiralling upwards and couldn’t tell where the head torches finished and the stars began, all that was obvious was that it was a long way up. Now I slowly plodded on conscious that the lights below were getting further away and the lights above closer with every step, soon I was overtaking other competitors and caught a few who had passed me lower down but who were now slumped over walking poles or sat gasping for breath next to the trail. 
The only way is up! Climbing to the Tete De La Tronche. 

A few short sections of vertical rock were overcome with the aid of permanently fixed timber steps and soon after the gradient began to ease. I looked up and saw the sky was emerging from its inky blackness and the first hint of dawn was visible to the east. Shortly afterwards the gradient had eased enough to permit a steady jog and the light poured across the terrain slowly bringing the awesome mountain scenery into view. I turned off my head torch and looked across the Chamonix valley to the Chamonix Aiguilles and to Mont Blanc whose summit was bathed in golden light. Above the summit an equally golden crown of lenticular cloud sat radiant like a saint’s halo over the snow covered upper slopes of Western Europe’s highest point.  This moment was all the more fantastic for the fact that it came only a couple of hours after the most difficult time of my race.  

Low Points

The night stages were always going to be the toughest having to contend with lack of sleep and the previous 12 hours running. I’d expected a race of ups and downs not just literally but physically and mentally and to some degree this is what I experienced but the ups and downs were generally undulations on a plateau of up. That is until I fell of the edge. The edge came somewhere between Trient and Vallorcine and around 4:00 in the morning. Physically I’d been deteriorating through out the night but that was to be expected and mentally I’d just got on with it. As I approached Vallorcine I knew I needed to refuel ,rehydrate and give myself a break, it’s hard to explain, I didn’t feel like stopping or that I should quit but I did feel like I’d just been run over by a bus and I needed to do something about it quickly. Vallorcine came not a moment too soon; at the time I’d have said I felt tired but otherwise OK. 

Val ferret, Italy
Thinking back I can’t really describe how I felt because all I can remember is a sort of fussy feeling, an almost detached sense of being through which something told me that I should sit down, eat, drink and sort myself out. I don’t actually remember feeling sleepy rather that I could have just stayed there doing nothing and carried on doing nothing for the rest of eternity. Fortunately the part in side  of me that made me get up for a second helping of noodles and made me eat the cake I didn’t really want and to fill the bottle I couldn’t really be bothered to fill, thankfully, won through. Getting up to leave the check point I must have looked grim as the official at the exit looked at me and said “courage, courage!”  
Leaving La Fouly, Switzerland

Stepping outside I sorted my pack and put on a light windproof for only the second time that night. I managed a feigned cheery wave at a group of supporters gathered around a bonfire and stepped forward into the dark once again. Each stop bought on muscular stiffness which took longer to shake off as the race went on but within ten minutes I’d warmed up and was walking briskly up a long incline towards the Col Des Montets. Other competitors caught me and I raised the pace to keep up with them, after a while I noticed that I was no longer fighting to keep up but that I was pulling ahead and feeling better with every stride. I felt a warm flow of relief and tension seemed to drain from me, I was on the last leg, back in France and still 2 hours ahead of the cut off time. I almost felt like breaking into song but refrained from fear of disqualification for unfair tactics.

End Points

I’d hoped and expected that the dawn would bring a lift both mentally and physically as my body clock switched on but I hadn’t anticipated the splendour of the moment and following a brief pause to take in the scene, pack away the head torch and take on food and water I ran on no longer at a shuffling jog but with a new spring in the legs and a second wind like I’ve never had before. Nothing was going to stop me now I thought but almost immediately cautioned myself as it was all too easy to trip and damage an ankle on the rugged terrain. So I ran on passing a few other competitors nearly all walking now and maintained a careful balance between concentration and just enjoying the sheer delight of running through amazing mountain scenery.

Arriving at Arnuva
The trail undulated traversing the rocky slopes below the Aiguilles Rouge and arriving at the final check point and feed station I paused only long enough to fill my water bottle and left to begin the joint jarring, muscle wrenching descent into Chamonix. I didn’t know how long the descent would take but having concluded I was going to finish comfortably within the 26 hour cut off I now aimed at finishing in under 24 hours. The descent turned out to be very runable and striking a balance between pace and care so as not to fall or injure my aching calves and Achilles tendon I made good progress. A few runners who also finished well and had stronger legs passed me on the way down but an occasional glimpse though the trees to the valley floor told me it was getting closer and I’d soon be seeing Chamonix. 

Finally the trail emerged from the forest and into the edge of the town, it was early but there were already plenty of people about and everyone clapped or gave me a congratulatory “bravo “or “allez allez!” Down the street I saw a Gendarme, seeing me he waved me towards him and as I approached he stepped into the road halting the early morning traffic. Waving me though the junction the Gendarme and two colleagues held the mounting rush hour traffic at bay as a group of people clapped and cheered. I didn’t know my position but right then, still 1 km from the finish, I felt like a winner. As I drew nearer the town centre and the finish more and more people stood and cheered or clapped as I ran past. A few more turns and I was in the town centre which was already thronged with cheering spectators and there amongst them was Jill. Marshalls shepherded me though the squares, past the statues and finally up the finishing straight. To the sound of my name being called out over the PA I almost sprinted for the line.
The Finish

After shaking hands with the competitors who had finished just before and after me I staggered grinning like an idiot towards Jill who stood beaming and waiting with a warm top and a generous supply of hugs and praise.  I sat down on a nearby bench taking in the moment and the atmosphere, within minutes I was overwhelmed by tiredness and the desire to lie down and sleep battled with the desire to keep going and enjoy the unique moment. Texts of support and now congratulations poured in and I am most grateful to the one from Jason Bulley reminding me about the free beer. I went and claimed my tin of Heineken and sat down at a cafĂ© near the finish to consume a breakfast of omelette and beer. It had been an amazing experience and with no doubt the best race I have ever done.

I finished 671st from 1900 starters and 59th in the male V2 class with a time of 23 hours 5 minutes and 46 seconds. The race and my performance had exceeded my expectations and I’d set quite a high bar for both, it really couldn’t have gone better. The excellent weather certainly helped as did the advice and support of many friends but my biggest thank you go’s to Jill who’s support before during and after the race was also of ultra proportions.
Breakfast in Chamonix

For more information visit the CCC Website.

Chris Brumby


No comments:

Post a Comment