About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Friday 27 September 2013

Run Report: Krispy Kreme Challenge 15/09/2013

I LUV MY DOH NUT!!! 
  
This was my first official pre race entry event (that's why I am sooo proud of my trophy!!) 


I got up at some unearthly hour and set out for the Wilbraham Arms, Alsager, in pouring rain. I arrived 10 minutes early but parked up the road first, to convince myself it was a good idea!! A small group of people gathered under some umbrellas whilst we waited for other runners before setting off towards the start point. By the time we arrived at Johns Bench, the rain had cleared and there was no longer much sign of the torrential rain and gales predicted for the day. Jason and Jo greeted us with enthusiasm and before long we were off in small groups, along a trail, well marked with donut arrows. 


What 252 doughnuts look like.
The route was very pleasant, without too many undulations, and some conservation folk to provide a distraction. We did a loop which involved a nice downhill section, followed by a bit through some trees and alongside a reed edged pond with ducks and birdsong. Then there was an uphill bit and a dodgy corner which led to some pasture, which had recently been used by cows, (did anyone have new trainers on?) I was relieved to stop and eat a donut at the end of each lap. 

To begin with, they were delicious, like fluffy sweet clouds! But after the third donut I began to prefer the running!! I never would have believed I could eat more than three, so by that point I was surprising myself. And so this went on, until it was getting a real struggle. Donut 6, 7, and 8 were particularly difficult, the onlookers were beginning to observe with fascination (and delight Christiana!!),as our faces began to get greener!! 


The superb trophy, handcrafted by our welfare officer and resident artisan Jason Bulley
Anyway, I managed to eat 12, after promising the family I would return with half a box of donuts, instead of which I had to buy some more (!!!!) off Jason, (for which I still owe you Jason!!) Surprisingly, I had no adverse effects. I didnt have to eat again that day, so quite economical really. Ooooh, and I really enjoyed it, thanks to Karen for keeping me going, and to Jason and Joanna for undertaking such a logistical nightmare and making such a success of it, right down to those brilliant handmade trophys, and the dog is NOT having mine!

Stella

No comments:

Post a Comment