About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Friday 11 October 2013

Race Report: Congleton Half Marathon 06/10/2013

8am and I was up and ready to leave for Congleton. 


Having ate my porridge and donned by shorts and vest I felt ready for this one. 

Karen picked me up and we arrived with plenty of time to get a good spot on the car park.  We met up with a few Striders and we soon got collared by the press for a photoshoot.  Lainey Tee and Christiane missed out as they had just gone to their car to get ready for the race. Quick stop at the loo and soon I was on the start line.
 

I saw that Liz Clutton was not around but then I spotted Lesley Cole who is in my “W” category and faster than me so I decided that my game plan was just to go as fast as I could and try and stay with Lesley and finish the race.  I got up beside some of the “Harrier ladies” and was getting into my stride when Lainey Tee past me, she looked really strong (oh to be that young again). Soon Christiane caught up. Next we were at the downhill stretch heading towards TESCO ( I like this bit of the race). I let myself go and when I looked up I had the killer hill to face. 

I paced myself at 9 minute mile pace and soon I was having a game of cat and mouse with Malcolm Rushton (Trentham). He’s 63 years of old and he runs and power walks. He always gets me on the hills and I get him when I am flying down hill. At mile 7 I was bang on target at 63 minutes, Lesley was still 6 in front of me, but she was moving fast.  Malcolm and I were still playing cat and mouse and we even had a bit of a conversation.
 

I felt good and was beginning to pass a few folk, soon it was a downhill stretch  but just before mile 11 I managed to go over on a stone nearly falling into the path of a cyclist who was doing the Cat and Fiddle for Dougie Mac.  Hobbling for a bit I had a few jelly babies to give my body some sugar and concentrated on the next part of this race, “the sting in the tail”.  I managed to get up it ok and my old buddy Sheelagh from South Cheshire Harriers came flying past me. Now, I knew I was in trouble. At 12 miles I realised I wasn’t going to break 2 hours so I did what Paula Ratcliffe advised in one of the running magazines, had positive thoughts and focused on getting under 2.06.   I crossed the line in 2.05.48 just 11 seconds after Sheelagh.
 

Today the conditions were good, it was hot (which makes a nice change from rain).  I didn’t run as well as I wanted to but I managed to finished race No. 11 and now I only have the Flying Fox to complete my 12th NSRRA race.  At least I got a bargain of some nice new running shoes.   

I’d definitely recommend this race, yep it is a bit hilly but if you feel good on the day it is a PB course. Well done to all the striders who took part in the Chester Marathon and the Congleton Half today. Now for some tea and a well earned Malibu and coke with lots and lots of ice. (mmmm)
 
The full results were:

01:47:22 Elaine Tatham (PB)
01:48:40 David Parr (PB)
01:56:35 Christiane Bunte
02:05:59 Liz O’Keeffe
02:07:14 Matt Wood
02:10:37 Jill Jenkins (PB)
02:14:45 Karen Lovatt (PB)
02:29:10 Grant Stanning

For more information, visit the Congleton Harriers website.
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment