About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Friday 25 October 2013

Race Report: Round Rotherham 50 19/10/2013

Last December, as I rolled over the hill of middle age (50th birthday), I had an idea. 


“I’m really not a morning person,” yawned Gordon at 0600.
I had always wanted to run an ultra-marathon and, in my slightly OCD sort of way, a 50 mile ultra at 50 years old would be a nice neat way to solve my dilemma. Remembering, in conversation, that Jason had mentioned the Round Rotherham 50, I applied for leave and booked the event. The scene was set.

10 months later, as we pulled out of our drive for the Round Rotherham 50 (RRR), a black Alfa Romeo cruised by. It was Jason, also bound for the RRR. My first thoughts were, great a running buddy, but then they turned to more devious, petty minded thoughts. Mmmm! Maybe Jason could write the race report, but I kept on hearing Mik’s nagging voice, “Gordon, when are you going to write you first race report?” So, whilst slowly regaining the ability to walk with dignity, I’ve decided to bite the bullet and here it is.

For me, the challenge on running 50 miles pales into insignificance, compared to having to get up to register at 0510 on a Saturday morning. Registration was very quick and easy and administered by a small group of friendly, smiling people. Within a couple of minutes I had be given my number (with safety pins); picked up my shirt and RRR badge and additional route information. At this point it was very clear that this was a very well organised event. As the start time (0600) approached, we were herded outside, into the dark, overcast morning, to be given a quick brief in true “no fuss” Yorkshire style. Before we knew it, we were off.


At 39 miles. Two old ruins with Roche Abbey in the background!
The first few seconds, after the starter horn, were spent starting the various pieces of back-up timing/tracking tech in my possession. Distracted by this and with an urge to start running I actually forgot to start my Garmin watch until 5 minutes into the run. Dur!!  With a rough idea of the route in my head, initially we just followed the lead runners, but it was not long before the gaps got bigger and the route got darker. It was time to switch on the head torches; get out the reading glasses and start navigating. Having said that, the route was well marked with RRR signs and tape, but you just needed to keep your wits about you (right hand fork in foot path etc). Option 2 was to stop, stand still and wait for the next group of runners to catch up in the hope that someone in the group would know the route. Option 2 worked well and was exercised on a number of occasions! Between my over annotated OS maps, Jason’s “Wainwrights” style maps and his OS/GPS gizmo, no time was wasted getting lost.

The route varied from town/street running to trail type running. The street/town stuff swung between village streets; country roads; industrial estate service roads and slightly dodgy footpaths on the edge of industrial units. The countryside 
stuff was mostly through fields, woods, along canals, footpaths and featured mostly in the second part of the route. By check point 2 (17.2 mile) the suburban and industrial landscape was mostly behind us and we were on our way to our first rendezvous (RV) with our Sandbach Striders support team (SSST), Cheryl and Tolli. At this point I should explain that Tolli, the dog, has a character flaw.  Stage 1. Whenever she sees a group of runners, in her head, some sort of switch clicks to CHASE mode. Her hearing shuts down and a “FENTON…….FENTON…….FEEEEENTON” style situation develops. Stage 2.  Having caught up with the group of complete strangers, the switch then returns to NORMAL mode. She is then overcome with self-remorse for running off and worried that she no longer has a Scooby-doo (clue) where her owners are. Now picture Cheryl running behind the ROTHER VALLEY park run as Tolli’s switch clicks to CHASE mode. Apparently, there were a lot of puzzled park runners, as this slightly flustered woman in running kit zoomed passed shouting, “TOLLI, TOLLI!” “Have you seen a small black dog?” You really cannot make this up! It all ended well with TOLLI reunited with Cheryl and Cheryl having achieved her best time for a park run whilst chasing a small black dog!
 

Cheryl meets the us at Rother Valley Country Park, who are in high spirits, after her “Fenton” fiasco. 20 miles are now behind us.
Check point 3 (Harthill at 24.8 mile) came and went and the master plan of 5 miles per hour seemed to be working. We were losing a little time, but my aim was to finish between 10 and 11 hours. The countryside was now opening up as we ran through fields various. Some cropped, firm and dry and some recently seeded and covered in a substance akin to Velcro. Before long the magic 26.2 miles had passed and we were heading towards checkpoint 4 at 30.7 miles. Despite the distance, the next stage was less challenging terrain with mostly tracks, footpaths and roads. Cheryl came to meet and run with us again just before check point 5. After check point 5 there was a little more field and track stuff before we approached Roche Abbey to join up with the SSST yet again. What a great job they were doing. We all ran the route to check point 6 which took us up a tree lined valley to Maltby village hall (40.2 miles) and a well earned rest and overdose on orange squash, jelly sweets and crisp!  With less than 10 miles to go; the weather brightening; the legs still working but feeling stiff and my knees holding up, life was looking sweet (relatively speaking) and so we set off for check point 7, seven miles away.

The route now became noticeably more challenging, in the vertical sense of the word, but not in the way that Chris Brumby would notice. Walking up hills became the order of the day. At checkpoint 6, Jason had noticed a box of bananas under the refreshments table and had dually taken and consumed said item, but it was about to take it’s revenge. At 43 miles, Jason was dealing with his banana based turmoil and in true plucky British style, encouraged me to run my own pace and said that he would either catch me up or see me at the finish. And so we parted.

After more of the country stuff, I crested the hill prior to checkpoint 7 for the final descent. I would like to know what sadist put a checkpoint at the bottom of a relatively steep hill at 47.5 miles!! After a quick drink, I was on the final leg of the route (3 miles). Over a railway, along a canal, passed a sewage works, a bit of road, one small navigational error and finally the track into the finish line. I started to develop a skip in my step. With the finish in sight, I adjusted my posture: chin up, chest out, stomach in (as much as possible) and a beaming smile on my face. As I approached the finish, I thought that the crowd was waving until I realised that they were indicating for me to turn left through the gate. With the final navigational error averted, it was down a small slope and up another one (there’s that sadist again) and over the finish line. WOW! 50 miles! COOL! Jason managed to win his battle with the rogue banana and finished very shortly afterwards.


Yet again the SSST (who clocked 17 miles running themselves) were there to welcome Jason and me across the finish line. Again those happy, smiling people were there to serve some much welcomed tea, cottage pie and rice pudding.
 

Sitting here, reflecting on the experience whilst I regain the use of my legs, would I have done anything differently? Not really. The training seemed to work, as did the kit. My race plan (average 5 mph) worked for this race and the importance of fuelling and hydration was reinforced. Having said that, if it had rained a little more the night before I would have run it trail shoes.
50 miles and both still smiling.
 It was a great experience for me and has given me the same buzz (and feeling in my legs) that I got from running my first marathon. The marathon to 50 mile ultra is very achievable but is quite a big jump for the first ultra. The event was very well organised; the people were very friendly and clearly dedicated at making the event a success. From a running point of view, the route was great. It was over varied terrain and was certainly challenging at times. From a scenic viewpoint there were bits that I would not have chosen to visit (industrial areas etc) but it was not long before we were shambling through some very pleasant countryside. My thanks go out to the Rotherham Harriers and Athletic Club for their warm welcome and hard work.

Whilst we are on the subject, I would like to thank the chaps (Giles and Chris B) for allowing me to milk them of their knowledge of ultra-running. The same goes to Jason with an additional thanks for valued support on the day and of course the SSST. Thanks Cheggs for the happy smiling face, words of encouragement and peanut butter sandwiches.



A well-deserved supper and sit down.
Finally, whilst writing the report I asked Cheggs where she had put my maps,  “In the running draw,” she replied. Mmmmm! Me thinks that she is planning to run the RRR next year…

For more information visit the website.

Gordon



No comments:

Post a Comment