About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Monday 14 October 2013

Race Report: Tissington Trail Half-marathon 06/10/2013


Having booked myself in for the new Wirral half marathon on 13th October, I wasn’t expecting to do one the week before. However, Gordon decided that when both Heather and Tony were unable to do the trail run, he volunteered us both for it, insisting that it would be easy…it was all down-hill!

So early on Sunday morning, with me behind the wheel,  (well Gordon’s no good before 10am), we drove across to Ashborne with the autumn sun burning through the mist that was settled in the valleys; beautiful. Well I enjoyed it; not sure Gordon was awake.

On arriving at the leisure centre, the organisation was running smoothly and runners were milling around getting their chip timers and waiting for the buses that were to transfer us to the start at Parsley Hay. It was around then that my stomach decided to get all excited and nervous so a quick visit to the disabled loo was required (well the girls were queuing for the ladies). Then it was off to the buses. Gordon said I was like an excited 5 year old out on a school trip and seeing what I thought was a path up to the buses, attempted a short-cut only for Gordon to take charge and steer me in the right direction! Maybe he’s not the only one that’s not quite awake before 10am on a Sunday morning.

A short bus trip up and down dale, through the glorious Derbyshire countryside, soon had us at the start where I, yet again, queued for the loo whilst Gordon ordered a bacon bap. This was just 10 mins before the race!

As Gordon scoffed the remains of his bacon butty, the first wave of runners was dispatched with him amongst them. I quickly followed in the second wave and the race was on. 406 runners soon filled the trail and bewildered walkers and bikers were besieged with the panting, sweating mass.

The sun had now burnt through any remaining clouds to leave a clear blue sky and unseasonably late summer heat which soon started to take effect. Thankfully, the trail wound through wooded areas and through gorges which had been blasted when the railway had first been made, so any exposure to the sun was frequently relieved.

As far as the down-hill bit was concerned, I actually think that the first 2 to 3 miles slowly took an upward path and any down-hill was so slight as not to be noticed…at all. But it was a glorious way to run through Derbyshire and I’m glad that we did that route and not the one the bus took.

Because the start went off in waves, there was no crowding on the trail and apart from keeping a watchful eye out for ramblers and oncoming cyclists (2 or 3 of which I nearly bumped into as I had my head down), the route was open to go as steady and fast as I could. If only my legs had registered that and taken the opportunity.

Thinking that I was doing well, I kept up the pace, pushing to get a good time. So on arriving at the finish and realised that I’d only managed 1:54:13, (a minute off my PB) I was cross and disappointed. The only thing to do was console my-self with a handful of Jaffa cakes, fig roles and a big mug of tea from the café. Gordon had blasted the course in 1:31 (PB I think) and cheered me on for a sprint finish. At least there’s one reason for coming in later…there’s always someone to cheer you home. Although disappointed with my time the results show that Gordon came 3rd in his category and I came 4th in mine. 


After our refreshing cuppa, a friendly spectator pointed us in the direction, back to the leisure centre which took us through a long, cool tunnel. This gave us opportunity to reflect on the event. Lovely! It is a friendly, well organised event through stunning scenery. The marshals were fab and the weather was exceptional. Would we do it again…you bet ya!
 
For more information, visit the website.

Cheryl and Gordon

No comments:

Post a Comment