About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Tuesday 19 November 2013

Race Report: Passing Clouds 9m 28/10/2013



You ever get that feeling that your addicted?   


Well I think I do, no not think, I am sure I am. There i was sitting out in the lovely French sunshine in the Vosage mountains when that little bleep came through on my phone. It was the upcoming race email from the chairman. 

Passing Clouds Fell Race the email said. That looks good I thought, maybe if I am home early enough I could fit it in, after all it was only 10 miles with 1800ft  of climb over the roaches.

So having seen the upcoming weather forecast and the subject of storms blowing in, I thought it better to tell Nikki that we should get back across the water a day early hence getting me home on the Saturday and fresh for hte race on Sunday morning.

The journey home was a view of what was to come, strong winds driving rain and cold temperatures.

Alas I arrived home with my French wine booty and headed for the Facebook to attempt to get some company. The chairman and Matt gave it a no go and there was no other takers, which meant I would be going solo.I checked the times of the previous finishers with a couple of familiar striders names showing and knew immediately it was going to be a tough one.

I awoke as fresh as a daisy on Sunday after my 1000 mile drive, however this was to be the daisy wilting in the autumn and not the daisy out in spring. I headed off to the start which was to be at the Tittesworth reservoir. Having never actually been here I was pleasantly supposed at how nice it was. This year we had to pay to park which at £2; 50 were reasonable for 2 hours. The organisers gave me a sticker for the car which meant that if I was longer than 2 hours I would not get a fine, this was going to be a good idea!!!

Registration on the day was accepted and I paid the paltry sum of £5 to enter the race. The lady suggested that she should be paying me for running due to how bad the weather was. It was blowing a hoolie the rain was driving in and we were yet to even start!!!.

The race began with a minute’s applause in memory of a Congleton Harrier that sadly died suddenly prior to the Congleton half marathon. Before I knew it the race began and we were off. A fair mixed field of potential Olympic athletes club runners and those that eat and drink too much too often set out. 

Being as I have not done many fell races and considers myself rather inexperienced on the fells, and with the weather so awful, I opted to run with a 65 year old guy who had 35 years experience of running the fells.

The race started off with a steady climb towards the Roaches, it climbed and climbed and climbed. The weather got worse and worse and worse, I had my OMM fully zipped up yet the wind and driving rain drove through my face soaking my body. With the temperature dropping as we climbed the hills I was strangely really starting to enjoy this challenge. I went through deep deep mud that came past my knees and just kept going along with my new running buddy. He was telling me about how many fell races he had done and how hard this race was. This made me feel a lot better as I was struggling and to know he was too was sort of calming. We managed to drag along another couple of runners to our little group who were struggling to find the way. Although the course was partially marked with marshalls, there were evidently some places where in this weather you could get lost. One such place was running back along the ridges of the roaches. 

Visibility was quite poor due to the driving rain and for the first time in the race, we had to stop and refer to my map. With our group having to rely on me and me hoping I had got it right we soon picked up the trail again. With a mile or two left to go, the group got thinner and thinner, before long I could look down the hill and see the reservoir and more importantly the way back. Very soon and before I knew it, I had reached the path back to the reservoir and was actually, despite being soaked through to the skin, freezing cold, starving hungry and desperate for a wee, quite sad it was just about over.

My time wasn’t important; there were plenty behind me and more than plenty in front of me.

I would certainly recommend this race to any aspiring fell runner, superb organisation, cheap as chips, tough and challenging. I will be doing it again for sure.                                                          
For more information visit the website.

Paul N.

No comments:

Post a Comment