About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Sunday 8 December 2013

Race Report: 01/12/2013 Cheddleton Pudding Run 10k

I blame Liz – you know the sales pitch – “beautiful run on the edge of the Peak District” – “well organised” – “excellent Christmas pudding at the end”.


That’s how Liz, Phil & I came to sign up for the Cheddleton Christmas pudding run. 
I applied very late (maybe hoping it was too late) but my number turned up 3 days before the race.  First task was to organise transport for the 3 of us… Liz’s Z3… maybe not... Phil’s Austin Max... you can’t be serious!!!!!... so I drove.

Liz supplied the Sat Nav to help us locate the start but by M6 Junction 16 it was already giving warning signs..LOST SATELLITE SIGNAL, RECALCULATING. 

We did a circular tour round Burslem LOST SATELLITE SIGNAL. went down some beautiful narrow lanesRECALCULATINGeventually LOST SATELITE SIGNAL we chanced upon the picturesque village of Cheddleton. 

Followiing a quick game of cramasmanaycarsaspossibleinaverysmallcarpark. We met up with Chris & Jill and were ready to go.

The start of the race was well organised but really busy- the first km was stop\start – even I couldn’t get up to cruising speed!!

The race was 3 laps over well surfaced but narrow lanes with 3 hills on each lap.
During the second lap the fast runners were passing me & as we entered Cheddleton at the end of the second lap, spectators in the village were cheering the winners on whilst also offering us steadier running some encouragement as we set off for one last lap.

The finish line eventually came into sight with a downhill sprint (sort of) to the line.
Chris completed the course in a really good time, Jill wasn’t far behind, Liz & Phil came in comfortably under the hour & I errrrr... finished!!

We queued for ages for a cup & tea & mince pie, clapped at the awards (didn’t win anything) then set of home via Leek LOST SATELITE SIGNAL ,Rudyard (beautiful sunset) RECALCULATING and Congleton TURNED IT OFF

A pleasant bonus on the way back was the Radio5 live commentary of Everton thrashing Stoke 4-0 Come on You Blues!!!

In summary, really well organised run through beautiful countryside, but be prepared for the hills.

PS – If anybody doesn’t know what to get Liz for Christmas – a working Sat Nav wouldn’t be a bad idea.
 
Denis



Cheddlton 10K today. I was joined by Dennis and Phil who had never run this race before. As I have done it about 10 times I knew what was ahead.  Dennis said” it’s flaming hilly Liz – you never told me about the  hills”. I explained that it was undulating and that there was a nice downhill stretch but unfortunately you had to do it all three times over.
 
We relied on my trusty satnav to get us there but only this time it decided to throw a wobbler and kept telling us to take a left turn or that the satellite could not be found. Luckily, Dennis had just enough battery in his satnav to get us there albeit we did seem to go a long way round.  We arrived just as they were shutting off the road and managed to get on to the school car park.  Soon we were lined up with all the other Santa’s, elves and reindeers on the start line. In the past, we have had rain, ice, frost, freezing fog and snow so it was a bonus to have mild weather and some sunshine today.  Have you ever seen Mrs Claus run with matching red sunnies and lippy. (Well I did).
 
The start whistle got us all off and soon we were running along the main round and turning left into the country lanes, here we started the undulating climb which went on for a good 3 miles. A quick turn left and we were on the straight, Phil was just ahead of me as where some of the NSRRA women. I felt good so managed to catch up with Phil, I am sure he heard me coming as the bell on my Santa’s outfit never stopped ringing, at this rate I was sure I would have tinnitus at the end of the race. Soon we were on the downhill part of the course which is really good as you can let go and the hill takes you.  As I came off stretch of the course, I was greeted by the crowd and one little boy screaming at the top of his voice “Mummy Santa Claus’s wife is running, she’s there. (aah bless).  Only two more laps to go, I felt good, but decided I was going to enjoy this race and try for under the hour. Denis was behind me, Phil was just in front again. I managed to catch him up on the straight again and told him he only had another ¼ mile and would be home. I came in at 58.13  (the first Santa) and got rewarded with the yearly xmas pud (which I hate) but at least hubby’s tea was sorted.
 
Every penny of this race goes directly to Cancer Research UK. Last year it raised over £7,000. It celebrated 30 years today. It is a well organised and marshalled throughout. It is definitely one I will continue to do and would recommend to you all to have a go at.  Fancy dress is optional.

Liz

For more information visit the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment