About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Saturday 8 February 2014

Race Report: Alsager 5m 02/02/2014

Today 5 striders ran the Alsager 5. 
Denis, Martin, Liz, Tom and Ben pre-race.


The weather was excellent and it was vest weather, although I was too chicken to run in mine.  As I had arranged to help set up for the Sports Massage Therapists station I found myself there at the unearthly hour of 9.15am where the rest of the team had already set up their beds. I collected my chip timing tag and t-shirt ( a nice one this year) and was soon lining up on the start line at 10.50am. As I looked around I saw a lot of new faces but not many of the ones I usually race against.

Ben on the finishing straight.
This race is always a fast one and the start is always congested. With  a sound of the horn we were off, but we only got about 100 yards when everyone halted abruptly as someone had fallen.  The course itself is flat with two loops. I felt good even though I was absolutely knackered, having done a ladies pamper night the night before ( note to oneself – don’t do this again next year). Soon I was heading home on the last night which I always find a real pain, the road past MMU-Alsager site seems to go on and on. 

Liz at 4.5 miles and still smiling
I looked at my watch and knew I was not going to beat last years’ time (funny that as the weather was absolutely horrendous).  Ben was just in front so I thought if I could just stay with him (ha ha). Next I was in the finishing funnel with Ben just less than a minute in front.   Good weather, good race, plenty of sunshine. Yip I’ll be back next year (if I am not in the land of Oz).
Liz sprinting down the finishing straight.

For more information visit the Alsager 5 website.

Bryan Dale (and his glamorous assistant) took thousands of photos at the event, all of which are free to download from Bryan's website

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment