About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Sunday 2 February 2014

Race Report: Welcome Tavern 10k 26/01.2014

Yesterday Denis and I set off in the drizzling rain to take part in the Welcome Tavern 10K race in Leyland, just the other side of Chorley.




We got there and it was freezing (we had one of those moments where we could easily have jumped back into the car and gone home). Not many runners ventured outside to do a warm up. The start line was outside the pub door so it only took a minute to get there!!!



As the weather had turned nasty it was a no-brainer as what to wear, headgear, leggings and gloves for me. Denis on the other had was a bit more hardy or foolish and decided to bare his legs.  At least his jacket was a bit more rain proof than mine.  With a 1,2, 3, we were off, we had been informed that it was muddy course that started off with two laps of a housing estate and that was exactly right. Once through the estate it was out onto a trail path then down a flat stretch to the river.  Woo-hoo the wind was coming at me sideways, I was so glad I had my head gear on at least my wee ears were not cold. Once out of this section it was a left turn onto the opposite of the river. I saw the 5 mile marker and realised if I hurried I might just do around 54 minutes.  However, the wind and rain picked up and to say I could not feel my face was a understatement.  Next I was at the 6 mile marker but hey we still had to run nearly another half mile back to the pub, so much for only 200 yards to go!!  I got home in 57.11 not a great time but what a day.



Would I do this run again? Definitely, on a good day with sun shining it would be a good pb course. Thanks to my mate Denis for driving. In the photograph above, we are looking like two drowned rats.


For more information, visit the Welcome Tavern 10k webpage.

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment