About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Wednesday 5 March 2014

Race Report: Cloud 9 Hill Race 02/03/2014

Well, the day-dawned cloudy and cool…perfect for running up and around The Cloud.

All smiles at the start except Elaine who was still nursing her headache!

As always, the leisure centre in Congleton, was a-buzz with a variety of runners from the thin wiry, seasoned fell runner to well, the rest of us! After collecting our numbers and visiting the loos one last time, we all headed for the start where a random kit check was carried out. This is the first time I’d experienced this and it was like pulling teeth, especially as number 36 was reluctant to be found!Needless to say kit inspection was passed and the horn was sounded for the off. I am always truly amazed at how quickly the field of runners spreads out and by the time I had reached the turn off the rail trail, I’m sure the first ones were already on the cloud!

Jill making it look easy.
The ground soon became a quagmire and the only way Christina was going to keep her lovely new bright pink shoes clean was not to run at all. But like the rest of us, she threw caution to the wind and splashed and squelched over the course.
All smiling now as run over, cakes ahead.
 By the time I reached the tree line on the Cloud, the front runners where off over the fields. How do they do that?! Anyway I gamely plodded on, ever upwards. Some recovery walking was done as the slow line of weary runners staggered up through the trees and as soon as I could, I overtook and broke into a quicker walk/trot.
Now that’s what I call a mud fest.
Chris Brumby was a welcome sight at the top and hailed the lovely downhill section which sends me crashing down through the trees. Once on the field, I took a quick look over my shoulder to see Elaine gaining on me so with tired legs and Gordon’s voice ringing in my ears “stride out, stride out,” that’s what I did.
Where are those lovely pink shoes now?
The course had one more trick to play on us: an ocean of shoe wrenching; ankle turning fields that had me tripping up and staggering about like a drunk. Once again I looked over my shoulder to see Elaine gaining. Well, have you seen the spikes on her shoes? No wonder she had fantastic grip on that ground. So, after surviving the fields of mud, it just left the road and trail to be conquered.
 
This is the second year I have run this race and yet again it came up trumps. We all thoroughly enjoyed it and it was great to see Karen come over the line smiling instead of in tears! Well done Karen.
Who ate all the pies? Well Elaine couldn’t face the wine. Think she was glad she didn’t win.
I managed to keep Elaine at bay but I think that was more to do with her slight hangover rather than my running skills.
Karen enjoying a post-race "recovery" cake.
Once we had regrouped and compared how muddy we were (well it beats comparing dresses), we made our way back to the leisure centre for hot tomato soup, rolls, cake and tea. What a fantastic way to finish off a fab run.
Christiane full of smiles
The same again next year please.

For more information visit the website.

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment