About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Sunday 27 April 2014

Race Report: Crewe Air Products 10k 20/04/2014

South Cheshire Harriers held there annual 10k race on the Sunday 20th April. 

Tom, Heather, Steve, Tony and Lindsay before the race.

For many people, this race would'nt be top of there wish list, but I have to disagree. It's cheap (£7), its local and well organised by South Cheshire Harriers and lastly its flat. For anyone aspiring to a fast race or a PB, this was a course to do it. I have consistently run 10k's around the 40 or 41 minute mark, with a sub 40 minute just eluding me. However this was the race I wanted to break that 40 minute barrier.
At the halfway point.
We arrived at Manchester campus grounds (Crewe) at 9.30, in good time for the start at 10.15. Picked up our complimentary running t-shirt, free with the entry, and made our way to the start area. Where I met up with four other striders taking part in the race; Steve Farnell, Tom Mayell, Lindsey Beeston and Heather Carter. Our chairman also there on photography duty, took a group photo. After a quick warm up, we were called to the starting line. Wanting to give myself the best opportunity of a good time I squeezed into the front rank and started with the front runners.


This run scores zero points on scenic value, its essentially a two lap course of Crewe's industrial estate, with a bit of by-pass thrown in. But on the plus side its flat, with long straights and not much twisting and turning, every second counts! I put my head down, and try to stick in with the faster guys (unsuccessfully!), I was slowly passed by a trickle of runners, but felt to be holding a reasonable pace. The kilometres passed by, and avoided looking at my watch until the 9 kilometre mark, a glance at my watch shortly after read 36 minutes, I was going to do it. Head down, I raised my pace for a last sprint home, to finish in 38 mins and 48 secs, a new PB. Shortly after Steve came home in a PB of 43 mins and 36 secs, Lindsay in a PB of 45 mins and 43 secs, Tom 46 mins 4secs and Heather 49 mins 53 secs.


Crewe 10k, may not be the most glamorous of runs, but if you want to test yourself and get a personal best, this is a good course to do it.
 

Approaching the finish line.

For more information, visit the website.

Tony Taylor