About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Thursday 10 April 2014

Race Report: Greater Manchester Marathon 06/04/2014

We arrived to a typically grey and dull Manchester morning which all reports incorrectly said would turn into heavy rain at about 11, in fact, apart from a few spots, it never rained at all.

My target for the day was not only to beat the PB I set at Manchester last year (3:55:12) but to beat it significantly by getting under 3:45.


I found the 3:45 pacer and 15 minutes later we dutifully started shuffling to the line, once we were off it was more a case of being aware of the runners around you as in the opening miles Manchester can be very congested. My running felt pretty good and I was easily keeping up with the pacer (the plan being to use him to stop me going out to fast), I soon saw my family who had found themselves a spot on a corner near the opening stage. Later in the race I was greeted by the site of one of my old Taekwondo coaches holding up a huge sign for me and another of her friends which provided a great lift and a few comments of ‘Wow, you’ve got a big fan there’ from my fellow runners!


From this point on I cruised to around 14 miles where a hamstring niggle I’ve been carrying for months made its presence known. It felt manageable so I kept up with my plan which was to stay with the pacer and then pull away with 3 miles to go. This however was not to be, ironically at 23 miles my hamstring seized up totally, I tried in vain to keep up with the pacer who I was now supposed to be leaving behind and could only watch as he disappeared into the distance.

Luckily for me, I had an alternative target (something I always do as it helps if things don’t go to plan) which was to go for sub 3:50 and still bag a good PB. Forced into alternately running and walking to nurse my hamstring I was just about managing my pace, as per usual the crowds on the last stretch of Chester Road were really supportive, patting me on the back and spurring me on, in the final yards I was happy to see fellow Strider Paul Barnett cheering me on. I dug in deep and ran for the finish line hobbling as fast as I could, the clock show 3:51 but I knew we’d taken a couple of minutes to cross the start line. In the end my chip time showed a result of 3:49:37, giving me a new PB by over 5 minutes.
In the end I’m happy with my result, but not satisfied, as a result I’ll be running Liverpool Rock ‘n’ Roll marathon in 7 weeks with an eye on going sub 3:45!

I can honestly say that since joining Sandbach Striders back in September last year my running has gone from strength to strength, so hopefully, this year will see even more PB’s!

For more information, visit the website.

Steve F.