About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Sunday 13 April 2014

Race Report: Ironbridge Half-marathon 06/04/2014

I beat Mik. Signed Terry.
Under the bridge
OK, that’s been the club’s only Ironbridge Half race report for the last few years, I’ll try to write a better
one. I’ve been meaning to enter the event for a few years, but had always ended up with either a clash of dates or (as happened last year) the whole event being cancelled due to snow. This year I still had the deferred place from last year, and we decided to make a family day out of it. We drove down to the start in Telford Park, where my wife & kids dropped me off then drove the few miles down the hill to the museums, promising to give me a wave as I ran past Blists Hill.

The announcer summarised the race nicely before we started: “This is a very scenic and challenging course, mostly off-road. It’s a race of three halves, the first bit is downhill, the second bit is along the river and … just take it easy at the end!” The event is chip timed and everyone started off being funnelled over a narrow start line, so we were running right from the start without getting boxed in. The first few miles was almost all on a tarmac cycle path built on a disused railway, and yes it was noticeably downhill. Nice and easy running, I just tried not to think about the run back up. We passed the Blists Hill museum at about 3 miles, with a small crowd outside but nobody that I recognised. A mile or so later the route did get scenic as the path came out of to the side of the river and we crossed over the first bridge (not the famous one) to the far side of the river, then turned to head upstream along a muddy set of wide riverside paths. The next few miles was a mixture of muddy paths and narrow lanes through the pretty old villages beside the river. As we came up to the bridge, I knew that I’d already overdone it, so decided to go slow and start taking pictures for the race report. This held me up a lot longer than I expected. Firstly, one of the spectators offered to take an action shot as I ran under the bridge, then couldn’t work out how to take it while I jogged up and down the path. Then my phone wouldn’t go back into a wet arm wallet without a lot of fiddling. (Note to self – don’t do that again!)

Approaching the bridge for the first time
Once we were under the bridge, there was a short climb up the bank to the road, then over the bridge itself. It was full of spectators, just the atmosphere you need in the middle of a race. The course then carried along the road through Ironbridge village for a mile or so, past the touristy shops and more museums. Then the hills started.

If I’d looked at the map before the race, I’d have realised that ‘The Gorge’ isn’t the main valley on the river Severn, it’s on a side stream and we were about  to run straight up the side of it! A very steep run up, then straight back down into the gorge so that we could go up the other side afterwards! At least the second hill wasn’t too steep, it was back on muddy footpaths and on to the long gradual climb back to Telford. At about 11 miles we were back onto the tarmac cycle path which we’d started on, and back to the park. Then past the 13 mile marker, which my Garmin said was at 12½ miles. Then past the 400m to go sign – that couldn’t be right, but it did agree with my Garmin. Then round a bend and onto a really vicious steep hill for the last 200 yards (which I didn’t know about as we hadn’t gone down it on the way out!) At least there was a good crowd all the way up to cheer us to the finish line. I’d finished in just under 1hr 44, way below PB level but the fastest I’d done since recovering from injury – despite the photostops!
3½ miles in and this is the first road we ran on.
At the finish, there was a goody bag with medal, chocolate and high vis T-shirt, then it was time for a quick wander back down the cycle path, cheering the late finishers on their way up, and to Blists Hill to meet the family who had plans to wander around the museums all afternoon! At least there were plenty of seats there.

All in all, it’s very ‘scenic and challenging’, not a PB course but a good race and a very good family day out. I’ve missed the last 5 years, but I’ll definitely try to go back next year.

For more information, visit the website.

Martin C.