About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Sunday 27 April 2014

Race Report: Shakespeare Marathon 27/04/2014

To PB or not to PB that is the question. 

The Carnival
 Marathon number 23.... How did that happen I ask myself? But happen it has and this time was a little bit of a novel experience for me, it was all about the Road. My last road marathon was back in October last year at Chester so this was going to be quite a test. 

Running on trails relieves the time pressure and enhances the pleasure in my personal opinion although I am sure others will disagree. There’s a certain pleasure to be stopped at the top off a hill somewhere looking back to where you have ran from and thinking how nice the view is. This is something one would rarely get to do with a Road Marathon where the pleasure is in time keeping yourself and pushing yourself to the limit to record a quick time.

So this marathon was to be Stratford upon Avon or known as the Shakespeare marathon. Let me just say a bit about why I like this marathon first. It’s a great route, superbly organised by the Stratford Rotary club but most importantly all monies raised go to the local Hospice which is one of my absolute worthy charity donations. It’s a shame in this day and age that the government give so little to the wonderful work done by our Hospices throughout the UK and that they actually have to rely on the kind folk of the UK to raise money for them. Anyhow, that’s that in a nutshell and I don’t wish to get any more political or morbid but if you have had to witness firsthand the work these guys do then I know you will agree with what I’m saying. 
The Morris dancers
So back to the race, no, not yet, let me start with another surprise. This week was in fact William Shakespeare 450th birthday.Wow, that Guy is really old and judging by the amount of people in Stratford this weekend he obviously mean’s so much too so many people. One day, as a pure commoner I will let someone explain to me exactly what it is that made Stratford upon Avon look like a Japanese and American holiday camp this weekend. The celebrations were a real bonus, a fantastic parade through the town with so many quintessential (big word for a commoner) things that celebrate this fine country of England in which we live. One thing that popped out more than anything else was that I saw Morris Dancers, yes Morris Dancers and I practised the routine. No I have not gone mad but some readers will know that following Medoc this year you may get to read a lot more about Morris Dancing. 

So having had a wonderful time in the town on the Saturday I awoke early on the Sunday to the pitta patta of rain drops on the camper. I had a walk of about 1.5 miles to the race start as Mat & Mik had decided not to join me this year and negating my chance of a lift like last year. I arrived with plenty of time to have a chat with a group of runners from Finland in my best Finnish which is similar to my best French. Then I decided that I would use what I am famous amongst my friends for, my cheek. I simply turned up at the very nice looking marquee and asked if this was the correct place for the elite’s to get changed. I was informed it was and so without as much as a head nod I walked in and began preparing myself and my kit for the race. Some strange looks came my way but I think they were just too scared to ask in case I had won an entry on a cornflakes box or something.

The walk to the start is about 15 mins from the changing facilities so we were led over to the start and the front, I opted to disappear and start right at the very back. I was so far at the back that actually it took me 5 mins to get to the start once the clock struck 9 and the race got under way. The route sent you through the town centre and a little change from last year sent you only half way back round before heading out of town and on your way. The amount of runners came in at about 4000 with only about 800 doing the full marathon and the rest doing the half marathon. Loads of really good fundraising going on amongst the half marathoners and great to see some people taking the opportunity to prove that no matter how big you are, if you show guts and determination you can achieve anything and I’m sure by doing so slim down and be healthier as well.



Every bit the elite athlete in a bin bag
By the time we left town and I ran past Nikki at 3 miles I had settled in to a nice pace. I was determined to make sure I ran a tactical race. I wanted my pace to be around the 10-20- 10-30 mark and just keep running. I wanted this to be the first ever marathon whereby I had ran every inch of it, hadn’t stopped and had just kept going.  As per usual I got chatting to a few people whom were mostly slower half marathon runners and equalling the sort of pace I wanted to set. They found it quite amusing that I would be going around doing another lap when they were sat in the Ice cream parlour with their medals. There was plenty of good vocal support out there in the country with people coming out to cheer from their houses and play music and despite the poor weather they still turned out in their dozens to offer support. There is a couple of reasonable climbs up a couple of hills and before you know it you are running along what’s known as the greenway and back to finish your first lap or head to the finish. 

The greenway is similar to our very own salt line but just a little flatter and a little more exposed which wasn’t helping in the headwind and driving rain. As we reached the turn off for the half marathoners to split off to their finish and leave me to trawl around for another lap and with a kiss from each of them in the little posy that we had formed they wished me luck and carried on. At this point which is 12 miles, Nikki had come to meet me and hand me a Mars bar and another kiss for good luck and I was making a decent time of 2hrs 2 min for 12.1 miles. I ran around to the halfway point and at this point I had hit 2hrs 13 for half way. I thought I felt strong still and that this could be the day whereby I achieve my sub 4-30. I kept moving along and kept an eye on my pace and was still making good progress come mile 16. This 16-20 miles is my psychological breakdown and although I felt my pace had slowed somewhat I was still moving forward in a running motion. As we turned a left from a main road to hit the greenway again I could really feel myself struggling to keep going. I kept at it and just backed my pace off a little but kept moving and running.
 

The finishing Grimace
The run down that Greenway has become a bit of a blur, but what I do remember is that I spotted mile 24 and I was crying, not actually crying but a technique I had learnt from the winner of the Bolton Hill Marathon. A way of making a strange crying noise to keep you in the zone and focused. I shouted out a little here and there and could see the concerned look on the marshals as I ran by them making a weird crying sound with some asking if I was actually OK? 

Before too much longer the reality had set in, I was not going to make my sub 4-30 but maybe my 4-33 PB was in danger. As I hit the final mile and a run along the wonderful park all I could think of was actually finishing. I was goosed cooked and ready to blow but I had ran it all and wasn’t going to stop now. I made it to the finish to be cheered home by my wonderful wife and my lovely little sister in law whom had come down from Birmingham. I looked at the time and couldn’t believe it; I had failed to sub 4-30 I had failed to beat my PB coming in at 4-37 chip time. So back to the drawing board it is, I think a diet is required and maybe last weekend’s hard partying wasn’t great preparation. I’m not disappointed though these things are sent to try us and I only have another 3 weeks before I get to go at the road again at the Flying Fox Marathon in Stafford.  I was disappointed with the bling to be honest. Yes it was a medal but the fact the medal said “Shakespeare Marathon & Half Marathon” I thought was a little cheap, I think there should of been a marathon medal and a half marathon medal but hey ho if that’s all I’ve got to moan about then it shows what a great race it must of been.


Ta for now

For more information, visit the website.

Paul N.