About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Saturday 12 April 2014

Race Report: The Three Shires 06/04/2014


The 3 Shires Marathon (or the oatcake hill climb)

at the start
I cannot believe a year has passed since I last ran this event. At that time, I was in the middle of a severe depressive episode whereby even getting out of bed was a journey never mind running a marathon. 


Still that’s behind me for the moment and some 15 marathons later I was back. Back to run the 3 shires LDWA bargain basement (£12). A run that would take in some of the most stunning peak district scenery and of course as the name suggests, go past the famous 3 shires head where the counties of Staffordshire Derbyshire and Cheshire meet. 

wona and a bored looking caroline
I opted to camp up a mile from the start leaving Nikki and Tara bear asleep when I was picked up in the morning by my friend and marthonholic Wona. Wona picked me up on time and like a couple of Cheshire cat’s we were on our way to the start line. Once there we met with another runner known to the both of us which was Caroline, someone that I’ve seen at many events as she tries to push her way in to the 100 club and a fine friendly girl too. However, I was only ever used to seeing the back of Caroline as despite being a good few years over my age, this lady could shift and with something like a 3hr 15 pb for a marathon it was hardly surprising that I didn’t often see her for long at other marathons. 

Sat in the hall with all the walkers gone and awaiting the 9 am start was quite lonely. There seemed very few runners this year and even fewer that were doing the marathon distance. I sat there talking to a couple of what seemed really nervous runners from Sheffield who were taking part in their first trail run. They were very nervous about getting lost and at this point I began to realise something. I had actually become quite experienced in this type of event. More so, with knowing much of the terrain and having Chris Brumby’s navigation course ringing in my ears as well as the gps route shared with me from Jason, I felt more prepared in terms of navigation than ever before. It would therefore appear that I would be the navigator despite Wona knowing the area really well. However what transpired was every few miles the delightful Wona would pop up with “I know where we are” but then hit us with “but I don’t know where we are going”.

Gladbach youth hostel
So I digress, with no pompous ceremony, no flying red arrows, no glitter balls or royal family member to say, the lady from the LDWA said, “ok off you go and enjoy yourselves”. And that was that, we were off, Me Wona, Caroline and a dude called Duncan that we adopted for the run as a sort of mascot. Duncan had done some events but was finding mixing a 6 month old baby and running a little tough and I think deep down was pleased to have someone to run with. What was a little sad for me was that I was the only Strider there. Last year there had been a great group of us but this year I was on my own, but never mind thanks to the internet I had Wona Caroline and now Duncan for company. 

Three shires, (not on our day)
As we set off and got in to a rhythm it was quite obvious that this was going to be a toughie. We climbed up a lane and hit some fields which were muddy, not a little muddy but very muddy and already my feet were wet. We set in to a pace as we reached some nice track and started to tear along making some decent progress. With my hardmoors failure in the back of my mind I soon realised that I needed to show some proper steel and determination to override it and see my way through this beast. Running with Wona and Caroline (and adopted Dunc) was a real pleasure until Caroline started telling me about her 3hr times for marathons and Wona started to chat to Caroline about how they had been first and second women in this race and that race. All of a sudden I felt intimated but knew that we were there to have fun, put on a good show and enjoy the spectacle. As we started to run down the hills something else became apparent, I am not too quick going uphill, but boy I aren’t shabby going down them and this must be due to my skiing.


Cheshire loop

Before long we were up on top of the roaches and running along the ridge with over 5 miles completed. Unfortunately it was peeing with rain and we could not see more than 20 ft in front due to the fog and mist. Again, with no panic and remembering everything I had learned on navigation, I never once felt intimidated by it. And having done a fell race or two over this way I felt quite confident about not just where I was but where I was going. Before much longer we had reached the first checkpoint and been given a tick and water before moving off. This next bit was a lovely decent down towards Gladbach youth hostel and then up over the hills towards the 3 shires itself.

This is the only point when we had a little wobble about where we were as we came behind a walker with a dog who turned right on a split path.
descent to Gradbach
Fortunately Wona remembered red brick and the track down to the 3 shires saving me from having to get my compass out. Before too much longer we were on the way down to the beautiful 3 shires head and this point we were passing walkers with ease. A busy crossing across the a54 and a further track saw us heading down towards the second (and 3rd) checkpoint. Now this checkpoint was special. I had vowed I would eat my own food and nothing else, but even I couldn’t resist the odd scone with jam. Wona Duncan and Caroline hit the oatcakes with cheese and I have to say I have never been looked after so much at a checkpoint ever. However, I wanted to move on, we were all wet through from the torrential rain and wind that we had experienced and the thought of staying there too long and ceasing up gave me real fear. So with us all ready to go we set off to do the 7 mile Cheshire loop.

This loop took us through bog mud more bog a bit of mud some more bog some fields a sharp turn past the Wildboar clough pub on the a54 before heading back toward the check point where we had left an hour or so earlier. With plenty of food left there and plenty of fluid taken, it wasn’t long before I headed off on my way. This time though there was just me and Dunc as Wona and Caroline had headed off without us. It wasn’t too long before we caught them up but just before this I took a full on face tumble in to some bog. I was now cold, very cold and wet and muddy and thought long and hard as to was I still enjoying this. Obviously I was as I was still laughing, before too long we headed down back toward Gladbach youth hostel and I felt nice and strong as I headed downhill at a rather quick pace. Before long I looked back to see I was on my own and in fact had left Caroline and Wona. Still I waited for them as any good gent wood and we followed the uncomplicated track back until we hit the Wincle brewery. I so wanted to go in and try a few but just thought I felt strong and was on for a much improved time. Therefore I opted to pass on that and keep pushing till the end. With about a mile to go Wona took off as she had to meet with her son and Caroline and I upped the pace and headed for the finish. Before too long, we were there back at the food festival.

I really love this race, it’s tough, very tough, it’s fun, great fun, its cheap, its basic with great food, the organisers are so friendly they sort of remind you what’s great about our country instead of all the stories you read. Moreso I had had a really stressful day at work on the friday and yet come 1 hr in to this race all the stressors were gone. This goes down as one of my favourite races and the best value for money event this side of Europe.

For more information, visit the website.

Paul N.