About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Tuesday 1 April 2014

Race Report: Newcastle 10k 30/03/2014

Here is  my report for the Newcastle Under Lyme 10K which I ran today.
Liz with only a few hundred yards to go at the Newcastle 10K
What can I say, the weather was absolutely fabulous, just ideal for a nice 10K run. I felt really good as it was the first time I wore my shorts and vest and sunglasses on in one hit.

The start was moved this year, a few hundred yards to the main entrance of Newcastle Under Lyme College.  There was no entries on the day  but there was chip timing this year.  As I stood on the start line I saw a few familiar faces.  This race is always a tough one because it is hilly and then there’s the dreaded black bank.  That goes on for about a mile and you feel as if you are going to shake hands with God at the end of it.  Soon the 3, 2,1 shout started us all off and then it was a sharp turn towards the black bank.  A few of the “F” runners which I normally pass were sprinting ahead of me.  At this point I thought I should have perhaps saved my energy yesterday and rested instead of doing a work out at the gym. Ah well I know the race and knew what was ahead of me.  

As I got to the top of black bank my old buddy Malcolm was just passing me so I had someone to work on. I kept a steady pace on this undulating course and at 6K Sue from Cheshire Harriers caught up with me.  We played a game of cat and mouse for the next 4 Ks with me leading and then Sue coming past me.   I could see Malcolm up in front and willed my little legs to go faster but alas I could not get him today. 
Liz still smiling at 6km
The good part of this race is that the last 3 K is on a shingle and tarmac path so you can pick up a bit of speed.  I got home in a time of 57 minutes, knocking a minute off last years’ time. 
I’d recommend this race but note it is hilly and you can’t really compare it to your normal 10K time.  It’s well organised and you get your t-shirt beforehand so you don’t have to hang around.
For more information visit the Newcastle 10k website.

Liz